My $80 80 psi pressure pot - Page 4 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2018, 02:35 PM   #31 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Danny, no matter what you use the compressor for you need a separator/filter. The tank will eventually corrode and expel rust etc and it will also stop any liquid. About $30 at HF. Desiccant seems like overkill and an unnecessary maintenance item.
PatrickR is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #32 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickR View Post
Danny, no matter what you use the compressor for you need a separator/filter. The tank will eventually corrode and expel rust etc and it will also stop any liquid. About $30 at HF. Desiccant seems like overkill and an unnecessary maintenance item.

I use to have one installed but it leaked too badly. I値l replace it. The desiccant materials are purchased and on their way, so I値l give it a go. When it becomes too much trouble I may try to do without or just repurpose for painting only. Thanks for the advice.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-22-2018, 04:28 PM   #33 (permalink)

Photos: 1

In the olden days when I was an aircraft mechanic on firebombers we used air systems to open and close the bomb tank doors until they switched over to hydraulics. The screaming little air air compressors feed into a dryer reservoir that was about the size of the water filters you are considering but they were filled with marbles. The expanding air chilled and the water condensed around the marbles and ran to the bottom of the dryer reservoir. We would drain them via a petcock in the bottom. Try the marbles and see it that works and if it doesn't switch to the desiccant.

I have a standard water trap regulator assembly and have never had water in the line but the 80 gallon tank gets most of the water unless I'm running it hard with the air sander. I'd only consider a dryer if I was spray painting and had water main it to the gun.
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2018, 08:36 AM   #34 (permalink)

I like the idea of the marbles. I値l have to careful not to lose them.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
Old 03-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #35 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Maybe you can find mine. Lost them ages ago. ;)
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-30-2018, 08:56 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by More4dan View Post

I use to have one installed but it leaked too badly. I値l replace it. The desiccant materials are purchased and on their way, so I値l give it a go. When it becomes too much trouble I may try to do without or just repurpose for painting only. Thanks for the advice.

Danny

Did they come in yet I just ordered and received some and as I looked at the amount I bought, one quart, I was worried it would fill the canister. I put a 1/2" PVC pipe down the middle and filled it up. I recall when I put the beads in my wish list I did some sort of calculation to see how much I would need and I guess I got it right since one quart fills it to the top.

Now I just have to either find or get a new O ring. I thought I got one with the canister but its nowhere to be found.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:21 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
Quote:

Danny

Did they come in yet I just ordered and received some and as I looked at the amount I bought, one quart, I was worried it would fill the canister. I put a 1/2" PVC pipe down the middle and filled it up. I recall when I put the beads in my wish list I did some sort of calculation to see how much I would need and I guess I got it right since one quart fills it to the top.

Now I just have to either find or get a new O ring. I thought I got one with the canister but its nowhere to be found.

I had the same thought when I saw the qt container. Glad it will be enough. I致e been a little sidetracked lately gathering old broken watches off eBay. Bummer about the o ring. Mine has one, thankfully.

Danny

Old 03-30-2018, 10:13 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
I had the same thought when I saw the qt container. Glad it will be enough. I致e been a little sidetracked lately gathering old broken watches off eBay. Bummer about the o ring. Mine has one, thankfully.

Danny

I'm pretty sure it had one. I've had this filter for a few months now and have opened and closed it it many times think how I was going to add the pipe. I think it got misplaced. I even think I had it my hand once thinking now what is this big O ring used for.

I'm sure I can find one at Home Depot Loews or even Walmart because they sell these filters.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:55 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:

Danny

Found it in the shavings on the floor of my shop.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads