MT2 slipping

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I've had this issue before, and it's rather annoying.

On my large 5/8 drill chuck, when I try and turn a stopper, I will sometimes have the chuck fall out of the taper. The taper stays in the lathe, but the chuck head separates.

I've tried cleaning it, blowing it out with compressed air, wiping down inside and out with mineral spirits, and then seating it with a rubber hammer...and it will hold until some pressure makes it slide out again...

No signs of burrs or debris inside. Is there some trick I can try? I'm almost ready to epoxy the two together - but would rather not if possible..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

I've had this issue before, and it's rather annoying.

On my large 5/8 drill chuck, when I try and turn a stopper, I will sometimes have the chuck fall out of the taper. The taper stays in the lathe, but the chuck head separates.

I've tried cleaning it, blowing it out with compressed air, wiping down inside and out with mineral spirits, and then seating it with a rubber hammer...and it will hold until some pressure makes it slide out again...

No signs of burrs or debris inside. Is there some trick I can try? I'm almost ready to epoxy the two together - but would rather not if possible..

So are you saying the JT taper is coming out of the drill chuck and MT taper is staying in the tail or head stock. My JT taper was coming out of one of my drill chuck so I opened it up so the chuck jaws were inside the chuck put it on my anvil and gave it a good smack with my dead blow hammer. Never came out again and why would you want it to. Unless you are going to a different JT taper.

Lin.

rherrell

Get a bigger hammer!:biggrin:

You might try cleaning it with lacquer thinner or alcohol, mineral spirits leave an oily residue. You might also try a little emery cloth or W/D sandpaper to rough it up a little.

KenV

I had one that way --

1. Did a super clean and pressed it on with the tailstock - moved to the vise.

Held fora year or two

2. Repeated step 1 with a couple drops Loctite Red. Still holding tight.

warlok

am sorry to let you know this but morse taper and jorno tarper are different angles so they wont match upbest bet to to find an adapter so they match

lorbay

am sorry to let you know this but morse taper and jorno tarper are different angles so they wont match upbest bet to to find an adapter so they match

I think they (we) know that, it's the JT that is not holding. Andrew has not got the tapers mixed up.

Lin.

sbell111

I think that I would go with Ken's advice and press it back on with some loctite. Of course, I am assuming that you are like me and will never actually want it to come off for any reason.

jking

I had the same problem with mine. IIFC, the advice someone here gave me was after cleaning, to open the chuck all the way when re seating.

mhbeauford

An old solution to this problem is to clean both and use a little shellac and press them together. This will allow them to be separated in the future with a little heat. Shellac has a low melting point.

randyrls

Andrew; Has this set always done this? Just like MT tapers come in several flavors, JT tapers do too. Make sure the JT taper matches the drill chuck socket. Common JT tapers are 2JT, 3JT, 33JT, and 6JT

frank123

Had that problem on my drill press years ago (JT33 chuck taper), a touch of locktite solved the problem.

Replaced the chuck once since then and a heat gun made it easy enough to remove the locktited chuck.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Thanks all - I think I'll try with open jaws and a bigger hammer, with alcohol to clean...if that doesn't work, I'll go with the locktite (might try blue first)...

Can't think of a conceivable reason why they should need to come apart, in all honesty...I don't ever use the adaptor for anything else.

Top Bottom