MT2 - MT2 aligning tool?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

Anyone knows where I can get this tool? I am not sure what it is called but both ends of it have MT2 and is used to align the headstock with the tail stock.

I actually even posted a pic of it a few months back to help someone..I should have bought one myself then.

I am having difficulty aligning my headstock...it is close but not dead center. I think this is the problem you have to live with a swivelling head stock.

Please do not tell I can turn one ;)...I really would rather buy this one.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

That's what I am looking for Paul. Thanks!

Doghouse, I have some of those...might be worth checking if that will work before buying what Paul just posted. Thanks for the tip.

alamocdc

Originally posted by lkorn
<br />
Originally posted by JimGo
<br />You know, you COULD just turn some yourself.
[:D] (sorry, couldn't resist)

Jim, If you turned an alignment tool on a misaligned lathe, would the tool now compensate for the misalignment?

Not if you turned it with a chuck and not using the tail stock. [:)]

woodscavenger

My issue with those is that it is aligned while they are up close but then you slide the tailstock back and most of them have a little wiggle and you are back where you started. I guess you could trouble shoot up/down issues but the left/right is a loss I think.

alamocdc

I agree, Shane. The locking mechanism on the underside of the ways is shaped (at least on my lathe) such that it "attempts" to center the tailstock, but I think it has some slop in it.

Dario

I don't have any problem with the tailstock..it is just the headstock. It is fine while still loose...when I tighten the lock, the headstock moves about 1/16"-1/8" towards 8 o'clock. I got it close enough after adding some shim but I am getting tired of it.

Doghouse

when locking the headstock down instead of pushing forward and down, pull backward and down. What is sounds like is that you are twisting the head while locking it in place. Another idea would be to Flip the handle over then tap it in place with a mallet. That way you don't have torque just pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom