Most impotant tool currently

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

With outside temperatures down in the single digits now, this is the most important tool in the shop. I keep the thermostat in the 45-50 deg. Range when not in the shop to keep moisture away. Then I bump it up to 65 when I'm working in it. Although I only use a 1/4 the garage area, the 65,000 BTU this puts out keeps the whole thing warm enough (so long as your not standing by the doors for the cars).

Attachments

• image-3937949174.jpg
    image-3937949174.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 256
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

And I complain about getting down to 12 to 15 for tonight.No problems withe heat other then the cost, , main part of the shop which is 34 by 26 just it turned down to 50 and cry when the bill comes in.good thing is we only guy weather like this 5 or 6 days a year it gives him something to get worded up about

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks for the reminder Dave. I need to go out and check my little space heater. Make sure it still works, in case I may need it :biggrin: That's a nice looking unit you have. I like the way it mounts off the floor.

plano_harry

Dave, I have been thinking about a shop heater myself (hey sometimes it gets down below 40 here, but rarely 3 days in row!) Any idea what the operating costs are?

Harry

Tom T

In the winter it's the heat. In the summer it's the fogged up safety glasses.
Where I am from it is the fogged up part. And sweating on all your stuff. About 60 tonight with the garage door open.
Sorry it's cold where you are.

76winger

Dave, I have been thinking about a shop heater myself (hey sometimes it gets down below 40 here, but rarely 3 days in row!) Any idea what the operating costs are?

Harry

Harry,

I don't know the specifics for the garage heater alone because the garage and house are all on a single gas line. The details I can give you is the unit I have is 95% efficient if I remember correctly and my highest usage months last year (which was mild) ranged between 150-175 therms for the months Jan-March. which covers the house and garage. The most recent month ending 1/10/13 looks like 190 therms. I average under $100/mo. over the course of the whole year, which includes a gas dryer and water heater as well. I don't expect the garage represents more than 20-25% of that total.

I tried portable electric and propane heaters early on and the small electrics I tried weren't adequate for a 34 x 36 ft space and the propane heaters created too many fumes to tolerate very long.

This unit mounts on the ceiling where it's out of the way and is vented through the roof and thermostat controlled. It just works really nice.

The other thing I did: when I purchased it around 6-7 years ago, the local heating & cooling vendor wanted about $1800 for one installed. I found a vendor online that sold the unit alone for just over $800, spent a little more on the vet pipe, and installed it myself.

76winger

In the winter it's the heat. In the summer it's the fogged up safety glasses.
Where I am from it is the fogged up part. And sweating on all your stuff. About 60 tonight with the garage door open.
Sorry it's cold where you are.

Tom,

If I were where you are, I think I would have installed A/C for the summer instead Heat for the Winter. I'm OK up to the 90's but then it's getting pretty hot above that in a shop. Since our days up here in the temp range are not usually very many, I get by with with a couple pedestal fans blowing the air around.

Tom T

Dave,
On a serious note. I hope you have a carbon monoxide detector. Sounds like the space is pretty tight. If not please get one. I have done heating and cooling for 30 years. This is important for any one with a fuel heater oil or gas or even wood.

Rodnall

Sorry, but my most important tool is my A/C.:biggrin: Haven't had to use it too much lately, but couldn't work in my garage without it.
Rod

76winger

Dave,
On a serious note. I hope you have a carbon monoxide detector. Sounds like the space is pretty tight. If not please get one. I have done heating and cooling for 30 years. This is important for any one with a fuel heater oil or gas or even wood.

I agree with you that I should, and the fact is I don't because I don't understand them enough to know which ones are worth dishing out the money for.

Can you give some recommendations on which units would be best suited for shop use?

Haynie

This might sound silly but here is my most important tool. I am a solar person. If I don't get enough sun the batteries drain and I am really grumpy. It has been too cold to spend much time outside. Yesterday got to 44. I got the replacement parts for my planer in the mail so I hauled it outside and worked on it and other things all day. If I thought my tools would not get stolen or ruined my wood shop would be outside.

There was supposed to be a picture of the sun here. darn thing would not resize. When I got it to resize it would not post. grrrrrrrr.

Last edited:

dankc908

And I complain about getting down to 12 to 15 for tonight.No problems withe heat other then the cost, , main part of the shop which is 34 by 26 just it turned down to 50 and cry when the bill comes in.good thing is we only guy weather like this 5 or 6 days a year it gives him something to get worded up about

Ken --

It's GREAT to see you back in action!

Dan

76winger

This might sound silly but here is my most important tool. I am a solar person. If I don't get enough sun the batteries drain and I am really grumpy. It has been too cold to spend much time outside. Yesterday got to 44. I got the replacement parts for my planer in the mail so I hauled it outside and worked on it and other things all day. If I thought my tools would not get stolen or ruined my wood shop would be outside.

There was supposed to be a picture of the sun here. darn thing would not resize. When I got it to resize it would not post. grrrrrrrr.

I like the sun too, but if I'm out in it too long I feel drained instead of energized. Maybe my internal batteries just like solar power that well :redface:

chevyguy65

-7* this morning!!!!!!! even in the basement the workshop is 50*! i turn on a small heater just before going to work down there... gets to about 68 then.

Top Bottom