Mom & Pop Hardware Stores

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

I am lucky enough to have one of these 3 miles from my home.
They get a lot of my business over the BORG because of several factors.

One is the courtesy I get shopping there. I'm not in the door 3 mins. & I'm asked twice if I need any help finding anything.
Naturally, since I go there so often for stuff I already know where everything is. They even know me by sight.
Anyway, I went there today for an oddball drill bit. I had to do a bit of looking, but I found it. I need a 27/64" for making my Gatsby pen kits.

I looked around online and found one on Amazon for big bucks, and PSI had one for $24 or so. Too expansive for me.
I got one for $5 today, made in the USA.
Pretty sweet overall.

Some of their prices are slightly higher than the BORG, but you get service & usually they have it in stock.
If you have a local Mom & Pop hardware store, consider yourself very lucky. They are going the way of the horse & buggy.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MDWine

Yep, I agree.
I use RICE HARDWARE all the time over the BORG for that very reason.
The owners go to our church, so I know them quite well.
One of the folks there, Patty, is a very very sharp gal. When I am making a jig or some weird contraption, she listens to the story and ponders it a moment. Then she says "let's go" and we run around the store to try this and that.

9 times out of 10 I leave with a workable solution. The BORG can't do that!

I'm OK with spending a tad bit more, they're family!

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I work part time at a M&P hardware store about 3 miles from my house. One of the Home Depots is always sending us customers.

dogcatcher

We have one here, it has just about everything or they can get it. One of the oldest businesses in town, they also have people that know about what they sell. It is like having a plumber, electrician and handyman there to make sure you get what you need.

Herb G

I have found more stuff at the M&P store to actually fix my house than at any BORG. I found what's unique about these stores is the owners usually live in the community and are concerned about the residents.

My store has people coming from 40 miles away everyday just to get a certain part for the project that can't wait one more day.
The cashier is the Mother of the owner. She won't retire because she's glad to have a place in life still.

She has to be in her upper 70's, and she's there everyday with a smile.
If you want a hot cup of coffee, it's still $.25, cup are in the back.
Put your quarter in the box next to the pot.
They have a community bulletin board with business cards on it for the plumbers, electricians, and carpenters that are familiar with the kind of homes in this area.

The guys who assist the customers all live around here, so they know the regulars like me.

When I was a kid, I used to love going to the hardware store with my Dad. As long as I didn't touch anything, all was well.
I still get that feeling when I go to my local store.
I feel sorry for the people who have never seen a real hardware store, let alone never been in one. :redface:

WWorkman

I used to shop at a store down on the Texas coast called Kilgore's hardware, it was one of those stores with personal service and if they didn't have you probably didn't need it.

Top Bottom