Moisture meter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodnick43

I reciently purchased a Ligomat painless scanner D meter from Woodcraft.
My question is it better to input the specific gravity of the wood, the wood list that came with the unit. The list that came with it does not cover all the species of wood that I use. Also will the wax coating on the wood effect the true reading.
Your thoughts
Thank you very much for your advice. :)
Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

You'll want to push the pins through the layer of wax in order for a proper reading, or take your reading from an area of un-coated bare wood. (This, of course, applies to moisture meters that use pins that need to be pressed into the wood.)

If you see some excessive moisture, check in various other spots around the wood .... top, bottom, middle of sides, long grain as well as end grain .... possibly ask how long ago it was milled, and possibly take a reading from inside the wood, by making a fresh crosscut or rip cut and using the fresh face to check.

Wildman

JMHO, if a moisture meter gives you a ball park moisture content reading you are ahead of the game. You cannot get an accurate reading on blanks completely sealed in wax. Wood gains and looses moisture content base upon relative humidity in air. Sealing wood in wax essentially stops wood from gaining and losing MC.

You have to scrap or burn the way off for your meter to get a reading.

I am more concerned about moisture content than specific gravity when turning wood. SG values great for scientific community but confusing to average woodworker. If want to know more:

https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr190/chapter_04.pdf

Think if have a look at Figure 13-1 and Table 13-2 in chapter 13 what am saying about moisture content will make more sense to you.

https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr190/chapter_13.pdf

Hope using your meter, and info found on figure 13-1 & table 13-2 makes life easier for you.

SteveG

I have a pin-less meter bought many years ago. This is clearly old tech, but some characteristics may still be present in new tech. So...things to know to look for and compare. My meter:

Does not give accurate reading on small pieces like pen blanks.

I had to learn EXACTLY where the 'sweet spot' on the meter (size and location) is located for testing smaller (not small) specimens.

If wood is rough-sawn, the reading is off.I had to sand it smooth in area of reading. I suspect that a layer of wax would have similar problem

If using a conversion supplied by mfr, but the wood id not on the list, I would use a wood from the list that I thought would be similar. (The S.G. table would be for dry wood, so thinking a wet or green wood has a high S. G. due to high moisture content (thus feel heavy in the hand) would be wrong thinking.

Hopefully this input for old tech is useful with your new toy.

Top Bottom