1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,786
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,800
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rej19

This is why this site is so great. People willing to share and idea or "invention" that helps each of us in some way. Thanks for sharing!

avbill

This is a very nice design for segmenting lateral designs into your pen. Yet for safety reason you have left yourself open for missing fingers. The oak pieces [brace] that is across the plywood look from your photo to be dangerously too low profile. And the area around the saw blade cut is not marked

rej19

If you interested. It looks like Rocklers has a kit on sale now for $14.99 that has the hardware to build a similar sled.

tipsteve

Thank you Rick for your post. I have been trying to get results on a band saw and have been disappointed. The sled is a great idea. Now I just need a new table saw as I have a robi BT3000 (no slots). Now I have the pictures to convince the wife why I need one. :)

sbell111

Thank you Rick for your post. I have been trying to get results on a band saw and have been disappointed. The sled is a great idea. Now I just need a new table saw as I have a robi BT3000 (no slots). Now I have the pictures to convince the wife why I need one. :)
I also have a BT3000. That saw has worked great for my purposes, so I have no plans to replace it.

You should check out www.bt3central.com . You will find lots of ways to maximize your saw. Among them, was an article on how to make a miter slot for the BT3000. Here's a link to it.

PaulDoug

Well Rick, based on your pictures I got busy today and gave building the jig a try. This is my attempt. Won't get to try it out until after Thanksgiving, that a darn long wait! Not quite as pretty as yours, I didn't have any pretty scraps laying around.

Thanks again, if you have any suggestions on how I could improve mine, I'm all ears.., err eyes.

Attachments

• IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 483

larryc

Rick
Came across this posting from couple years back and couldn't find any other posts on the purpose of the jig.
Is it for celtic knot pens?
Could you expound on its purpose and use or point me to other threads that do so?
Thanks
Larry

ldb2000

Rick
Came across this posting from couple years back and couldn't find any other posts on the purpose of the jig.
Is it for celtic knot pens?
Could you expound on its purpose and use or point me to other threads that do so?
Thanks
Larry

It is simply a crosscut sled . It is useful for any number of cross cutting needs . It can be used for trimming blanks to length , width , angle , celtic crosses , eagle feathers .... the list goes on and on . What exactly were you looking for ?

PaulDoug

I built mine to make pens with what we called "feathers" in them. Doesn't really seem like the correct term now, with all the beautiful feather pens being made now days. Here is a sample: (although not a very good one)

Attachments

• FEATHER SAMPLE.JPG
    FEATHER SAMPLE.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 309

ldb2000

Paul , the feathers you speak of have very little to do with bird feathers , they are actually called Eagle feathers because of the man who originally thought up the idea . His name here on the IAP was ctEaglesc or otherwise known as Eagle . He passed away 2 years ago but during his time with us he was a genius for taking simple designs and making spectacular pens from them . He was an amazing man of great talent and will always be missed by many here .

Last edited:
Top Bottom