Mini Miter Saws

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker
I live in an apartment so space is a little limited. However I really need to get miter saw to cut blanks out of scrap wood I've been given by fellow bower. Doing a search I've found the Microlux and the Proxxon. I'm not sure of either of them would be able to cut the wook I have. I have yew, osage, black walnut and maple. Any input would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I have the Proxxon and like it (and would buy again) , but I use it only cut blanks at 90 degrees. I forgot why I chose it over the ML. So far, it has cut everything from wood to brass to Tru-stone and M3. Both models are heavily reviewed; I made my decision based on the reviews and how I intended to use the tool (which does not really test its capabilities). Some members made modifications to the Proxxon which improved the visibility of the cuts, etc.

You may want to search the IAP site and see what others have done.

Enjoy the research!

KenV

While not a chop box, the gold standard for tiny saws is the Byrnes Table Saw.

It is cuts miters with the miter gage.

The price is not cheap, but the precision and quality are high.

Small enough for limited space.

TonyL

To Ken's point, if I were not just chopping blanks at a 90, I would go with the Byrnes Table Saw.

MTViper

I have a Craftsman 7.25" compound miter saw (corded). I absolutely love it. It uses a standard circular saw blade so you've got lots of options It will cut through a 2x4 (just barely) so it's usable for pen blanks or bottle stopper blanks. It works well for wood or acrylic - even with a brass tube already glued into it.

Ryobi, DeWalt, and Makita (and probably others) now have cordless versions that might work better for an apartment.

Last edited:

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker
Thanks for all the info. I'll look into the Byrnes Table saw. This may come in handy with my other woodworking projects.

Sappheiros

Not sure how others feel on the subject, but I've been using a miter saw and I didn't quite feel happy with it. This week I'm getting a bench top bandsaw to replace it. Someone I know commented that they'd feel safe leaving a piece of half-sawed wood in the bandsaw (though they would still not do so) but the same could definitely not be said of the miter saw!

liljohn1368

Lowes has a 7.25 sliding miter made by cobalt. Says it will cut through a 2X8. I've never used one so I can't offer much insight. The price is 149$.

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker
I'll take a look at the Cobalt saw. I usually only use hand tools for everything. So all this info is really helpful.

Top Bottom