Mandrel Saver center ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
For anyone that has one, or has used one of these, can you please post your thoughts on it. Its this item here https://www.exoticblanks.com/Pen-Mandrel-Saver-choose-version.html
My lathe live center is boogered up somewhat, and am considering one of these centers. When I was working with the 4H kids turning pens, everything gets a rougher treatment than I alone would do, and it really shows on my center. So, do you think pen mandrel saver center is a worthwhile investment for the times I will be using a mandrel, or would I be better off to just buy a new live center and carry on? Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

That's the same mandrel saver that PSI sells. . I have one and it works fine, but I don't use it much because I have gone almost exclusively to turning between centers.

If you will be continuing your work with 4H kids, I would think you would be using a mandrel with them. . In those circumstances I would think it would be worth having the mandrel saver.

Of course, the mandrel saver has bearings in it just like a live center, and so could be abused in a similar way.

I just saw that the listing makes this statement:

"Adapts to nearly every mandrel on the market with a shaft diameter of .245" or smaller."

I question that very strongly and would not attempt to use it with a smaller mandrel. . Never seen a smaller mandrel anyway !!

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I have one & really like it.

I also sometimes use it to help steady a blank that is chucked up in the head stock. It just puts a slight mark on the end rather than a divot if I use a pointed center.

KenV

I have used one for a long time. Works well with kids.

Also drilled one out for 8 mm mandrel.

Can be abused, but is moderate cost.

MTViper

Have used one for years, also. Love it. I didn't think about drilling one out for the larger mandrel. May have to try that. Thanks Ken.

2 Saw

I have used one for years. I like that I can use it and turn 2 bolt action pens at the same time as I sell more bolt action antler pens than any other.

Thanks for the response. My one concern is about extra pressure exerted on headstock bearings. If the bushings are pressed tight by tailstock pressure, does that added force against the headstock bearings create any issue? Currently, by tightening the nut on the mandrel it presses the bushings tight , and the TS center just holds the mandrel in line, with very little pressure towards the headstock. Am I explaining that right??? When rounding some square blanks I have used quite a bit of pressure on the nut of the mandrel to keep the blanks from spinning on the shaft, at least until they are round. I know, 90% of this is due to inexperience, and technique. I cant imagine using that much pressure against the HS bearings can be good.

Top Bottom