Making my own carbide tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbfoto

I want to try using some carbide tools. I have access to machines and material so I want to make them myself. All I need to buy are the cutting inserts themselves. I have read of people buying cutters from retailers but I'm wondering about some of the cutters I see on eBay. Are the cutters that I see that cost $3-5 as good as those from turning tool retailers that cost $20? Does anyone here have experience making their own tools with less expensive cutters?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

I've made a few using cutters purchased from Capt. Eddie.

As tools go, they are fine. Frankly, I prefer conventional tools for most applications, but there are a few tasks where carbide have proved to be handy to have in the collection. In particular, my experience is that carbide is very effective for hollowing and for end-grain work in harder woods like oak and ash.

As to the cutters - all of the cutters I have used have come from Capt. Eddie, so I have no basis for comparison with other suppliers.

Crayman

Somebody on IAP, mentioned one time they used a large plastic handled crowbar from Harbor Freight to make a carbide tool(square thick and low cost). So i ordered a couple cutter from Capt Eddie and made one. I thought the over all tool would be to short and i would replace plastic with longer wood, but never needed to. I love this tool and with make another someday with a radius cutter instead of a round. I used a angle grinder, drill press and tape and about 25 - 30 minutes.

Curly

There is a vendor, AZ Carbide, in the Marketplace section of the forum that has good carbide at decent prices. Perfect for your toolmaking.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f410/20%-discount-now-through-may-1-a-154365/

The eBay stuff may or may not be any good. It depends of if it was specifically made for woodworking. If it was made for metal the edges may not be sharp enough for wood. This is because metals have differing requirements depending on the metal hardness, toughness, et cetera. Some metal inserts won't cut your skin even when new but slice through the intended metal like butter so buying them without knowing exactly what you are buying may cost you more in the long run in useless to you inserts.

mecompco

I'll second AZ carbide--great prices and service. There's another source that's somewhat cheaper and they don't have the same assortment and I've not tried them yet--will try and find the link.

mecompco

Here's that other site: https://www.globaltooling.com/collections/carbide-inserts-icks

Great prices, somewhat limited in the sizes/shapes we would use, but they do have quite a few. I've not personally used them, but others have w/no complaints.

I'm working on my own set of four carbide tools and got my cutters from AZ. I'm doing one each for the square, R2, round and diamond cutters. I'm using 1/2 square mild steel for the shafts and 12" Walnut blanks for the handles.

Note: I am not giving up my Magical Skew with the R2 cutter--that is my pen turning machine. The new tools are mainly for bigger turning projects.

tbfoto

I have access to a lot of round stainless steel bar stock and this is what I was planning on using however I see lots of tool makers using square bar stock. Is there any advantage or disadvantage as to which to use?

Rifleman1776

I want to try using some carbide tools. I have access to machines and material so I want to make them myself. All I need to buy are the cutting inserts themselves. I have read of people buying cutters from retailers but I'm wondering about some of the cutters I see on eBay. Are the cutters that I see that cost $3-5 as good as those from turning tool retailers that cost $20? Does anyone here have experience making their own tools with less expensive cutters?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

I have made several from square stock using cutter bought from Grizzly. The cutters are replacements for planers. Very inexpensive. Of course, being a turner, I turned the handles. But you can buy file handles also.

monophoto

I have access to a lot of round stainless steel bar stock and this is what I was planning on using however I see lots of tool makers using square bar stock. Is there any advantage or disadvantage as to which to use?

There may be.

If you use square stock, then there is a natural position for the tool to take on top of the tool rest - it will ride flat on the top of the tool rest. On the other hand, if you use round stock, there is no natural position, and instead you must consciously choose a position for the tool

Carbide tools are essentially scrapers, and ideally should be pointed slightly downward at or slightly below the centerline of the headstock spindle. That part is easy.

In addition, you have a choice of angle - you can choose a flat (9oclock-3oclock) angle, or a slight tilt for shear scraping (say 8 oclock-2oclock).

For new folks, the safest approach is to have the tool rest slightly above center so the tool angles down, and then tilt a bit to the left for a shear scrape.

If the shank is square, it will naturally orient to flat scraping, and if shear scraping is desired, a slight counterclockwise twist away from that neutral position will get there. But if the shank is round, there is no natural 'neutral' position for the tool, so the user has to think a bit more about tool orientation.

There is one manufacturer of carbide tools in the UK who use square stock, but with a slight twist in the stock toward that shear angle.

Top Bottom