Making A grinder VS?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikefrMd

Hi Everyone,

I was given a Ryobi grinder by a friend and was gonna use it in my shop to sharpen chisels.

The problem is its a fixed speed of 3600 rpms is that too fast too sharpen chisels and if so is it possible to make it variable speed to slow it down for sharpening? I was planning on getting a wolverine to use with it.

Thanks,

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

NO... Not unless it is a three phaze motor (330v) and I kinda dobut it! In my opinion, keep that one with a rough wheel and slap a wire wheel on the other side for stuff around the shop and buy the low speed one from Woodcraft that comes with 2 proper stones on it. This will keep you from wanting to grind something down on the good stones. Idealy, build your self one of those flip top stands to put it on so you can flip over the top and switch which one you want to use. [;)]

VisExp

The other problem is the Ryobi probably has 6" wheels. Ideally for sharpening you want at least 8" wheels so they put less of a curve on the surface you are grinding.

MikefrMd

The Ryobi does have 8" wheels....I thought maybe there might be a mod or another device to control the speed. Something that you would plug the grinder into to control voltage.

Would it make a good buffer?

Mike

THarvey

What about one of the variable speed controllers, like you use with a router. It plugs inline with the AC.

Don't know if that would cause other problems or not. Just a thought.

jhs494

I have a delta 8" that is 110 volt single phase and it came VS.
I am not sure how it was done but I bought it that way.

I'm not an expert in this, but a speed controller will work on some 110v motors and will ruin other 110v motors. Wish I knew the difference.

When in doubt, don't do it.

BTW, I sharpen my tools with a high speed grinder.

Randy_

The router controller "WILL NOT" work on your grinder!! They are the same voltage; but the basic design is entirely different.

You can use your HS grinder to sharpen tools. You just need a light touch and a container of water handy to cool the tool.

Originally posted by Randy_
<br /> a container of water handy to cool the tool.

If you are using HSS tools you will ruin then if you quench them in water. You can not get HHS hot enough from a grinder to remove the temper. Don't Worry!

Now if you are using High Carbon Steel, HCS, then yes you need to quech them in water to prevent removing the temper.

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />

If you are using HSS tools you will ruin then if you quench them in water. You can not get HHS hot enough from a grinder to remove the temper. Don't Worry!

Now if you are using High Carbon Steel, HCS, then yes you need to quech them in water to prevent removing the temper.
Would have to disagree here. High speed ,as you say, will not lose its temper. I have ground HSS for years for machine tools and always drop that sucker in the water when my fingers get hot! The high carbon steel and others, you do not want to get to the point where they turn blue, once there what temper they have is gone (and then you lose your temper[:D]) Anyway, a light touch and a dip in water after each touch will keep things cool. I sharpen my tools on an old cheapie 6" grinder. Front to clean up, and on the side of the wheel, very light touch, to 'hone', works great. (Now from all you folks who think using the side of the wheel is a no-no......)

Originally posted by Paul in OKC
<br />
Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />

Would have to disagree here. High speed ,as you say, will not lose its temper. I have ground HSS for years for machine tools and always drop that sucker in the water when my fingers get hot! The high carbon steel and others, you do not want to get to the point where they turn blue, once there what temper they have is gone (and then you lose your temper[:D]) Anyway, a light touch and a dip in water after each touch will keep things cool. I sharpen my tools on an old cheapie 6" grinder. Front to clean up, and on the side of the wheel, very light touch, to 'hone', works great. (Now from all you folks who think using the side of the wheel is a no-no......)

This topic was addressed recently on AAW
http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=4281&page=2

toolcrazy

I believe most VS motors are DC not AC. DC motors you can change the speed by varying the voltage, with AC you can not do that. It just reduces the power not speed. At least this is the way it was explained to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom