3/8'' nut
1'' wide 3/8'' washer
solder

the cut off wheel, has a hole in it, you need a bushing
split the 3/4'' copper cut out 1/16''
fit it inside the cut off wheel
place it on wood, put the 1/2'' cap inside of it
with your torch,,fill in all voids with solder
after it cools. grind down the busching till it is same width as the cut off wheel
drill a 1/2'' hole in he center

grinder pen 002.jpg

grinder pen 003.jpg

grinder pen 004.jpg

grinder pen 007.jpg

grinder pen 008.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TurtleTom

ever need a cut off wheel, but do not have a grinder

all you need is a drill.

list of parts
4 1/2'' abrasive cut off wheel
1/2'' copper cap
1/4'' long 3/4'' copper pipe
3'' long 3/8'' bolt

3/8'' nut
1'' wide 3/8'' washer
solder

the cut off wheel, has a hole in it, you need a bushing
split the 3/4'' copper cut out 1/16''
fit it inside the cut off wheel
place it on wood, put the 1/2'' cap inside of it
with your torch,,fill in all voids with solder
after it cools. grind down the busching till it is same width as the cut off wheel
drill a 1/2'' hole in he center

View attachment 135068

View attachment 135069

View attachment 135070

View attachment 135071

View attachment 135072

You really shouldn't run anything like this very fast. A friend of mine died when one came apart and severed his femoral artery. Never even made it to the truck.

jttheclockman

Tom you had the same thoughts as I did.

You have to be so careful when showing off some homemade tool or jig here or anywhere. People do copy and sometimes all the hidden secrets or little tweeks you did do not get conveyed and danger lurks. A spinning wheel that is friable can be serious especially without a guard. I would not do this at all. Just my opinion. Proper tool for the proper job.

Ironwood

Grinding and cutting wheels have their maximum RPM printed on them for good reason, they will fly apart or explode if the speed is exceeded.

I know of a farmer in my area that decided to use a worn down disc off a 9" grinder and put it on a smaller grinder to get more life out of it, the smaller grinder had a higher RPM, the disc flew apart and he got hit in the face by a shard . He will wear that scar for the rest of his life, and he is just lucky it didn't kill him.

Fish30114

I can't really make it out, but it looks like that wheel says max speed is 10 something thousand--most handheld drills won't make that speed full out. Also those type wheels are made to run in tools that far exceed the speed of a handheld drill. Basically what the OP has done here is to create a mandrel, which you can buy specifically for this purpose--just purchased one from Harbor Freight to run in my die grinder which runs much faster than any drill I have. I am fairly paranoid re: most safety type issues, but if you were going to use a cut off wheel like this at all, I don't think the mandrel the OP posted would be the part that failed if something did--that said, I appreciate those who have said be careful, anytime running a friable wheel at high speed, caution is a good watch word.

TurtleTom

RPM is not the danger here. The lack of a blade guard is.
I have a friend who has an obsession with looking in line with cutting wheels. I was making him a shop wood stove from a large propane tank when the blade parted, hitting him right between the eyes and broke his glasses and cutting his forehead in the process. Yes I had the safety guard in place. Thank God for the glasses. Even with safety guards these things are dangerous. (He still gets in line with blades of any type though.)
There is no end to bad ending stories from failure to respect high speed equipment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom