Made some veneer today ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

I got a new blade on the bandsaw and I decided to have some fun ...

I set up a section of aluminum angle, with 2 clamps (one on either end) for a fence, and ripped some pen blanks from a board of Ancient Kauri. (50,000 year old wood from a peat bog in New Zealand.) Once I was done making the normal pen blanks, I grabbed a short board and cut some crosscut blanks too, and had some fun turning that round on the lathe.

Afterwards, I was looking at the pile of scrap left over from that project, and realized that even though what was left was too small to really use for pen blanks, and beads would still be nice, I could REALLY use some veneer for small projects! I set the fence REALLY close to the blade ... I ended up cutting some veneer that is around 1/32" thick, roughly 6 inches long, and perhaps 3/4" wide.

I made a LOT of dust in my kitchen (bandsaw is in kitchen with the new combination sander). It was still a lot of fun, so I grabbed some leftover chunks of wood that came off that tree in my yard (that looks kinda like Chinese Elm), and cut some veneer from that too .... rounded out that project with some Gabon Ebony veneer as well.

It's all fairly rough cut with a 10 TPI blade (fine cut, I think). My original bandsaw blade was a 4 TPI for rough cutting, but this one did the job quite well and didn't bog down on me.

I'll probably need to do some sanding on these little slips of veneer if I plan to use them for flat surface work, but they'll do great for inlays and segmenting like Celtic Knots.

As I expected, the issue I was having with my first blade not cutting straight was that I had been abusing the hell out of it, cutting alabaster and other very hard materials. The new blade cut straight like a laser ... the bandsaw is set up perfectly! :)

edit - almost forgot!

I took some of that beautiful blue turquoise truestone (segmenting pieces) and turned that into veneer too ... look forward to more fun adventures!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Lol .... quick update - new bandsaw blade didn't last me very long! (about an HOUR of work total)

I went and turned 3 other small-ish bits of truestone into veneers for pen work, and before I had finished the 3rd one and started on the 4th, the blade began to veer off towards the right again ...

I really should have made the connection:

Truestone contains stone dust ... consider it to be just as hard as alabaster! >.<

OK ... I'll swing by Harbor Freight tomorrow and pick up a new pair of bandsaw blades. I'll sharpen these 2 back up with a dremel, and mark them to be used for STONE WORK ONLY. :)

Skie_M

Hmmm ... OK, that blade that lasted me only an hour?

That one WAS a metal cutting blade. 62" 14 TPI, general wood cutting and non-ferrous metals.

Thankfully, they aren't all that expensive .... but a big problem is that Harbor Freight only stocks exactly that one single blade type for their 62" bench top bandsaw model. There's no coarse blade options to buy, even though the machine CAME with a 4 TPI model blade.

I'm pretty sure the model I have can't handle the 64" blades that HF sells that come in a variety of tooth counts ... so I'll have to look around the local big box stores and hope that I can find other blades for my bandsaw locally, or shop around online to see if I can find a good deal.

Sharpening the bandsaw blade went easily enough, but the tracking issue remained, so I suppose I could use the old blades for rough cutting, but nothing requiring precision work. I think it's something to do with the kerf getting damaged by the stone cutting.

I'm lucky the replacement blades are cheap enough that I got 2 of them today (about 12 dollars apiece), as the one I just took off the bandsaw after cutting 10 strips of trustone veneer is just as dull as it's predecessor .... it lasted all of 20 minutes, which is about the same as the first one I demolished, lol... The last blade is on the machine now, and only cutting wood, as I have all the alternate material veneer that I'll need for a while.

jttheclockman

What is it you are doing?? If you are cutting stone you need diamonds. Carbide will get you through some of the trustone blanks. No bi metal blades will stand up. Not designed for that stuff. Metal blades are good for nonferrous metals and hard plastics.

Skie_M

Yeah, I was cutting up trustone blanks into veneer slices...

The M42 that was mentioned in the other thread is a bimetal blade ... doesn't have carbide teeth.

I looked all around for a carbide tooth blade to fit my little machine and everybody and their mother has a 3/4" blade width or larger, which wont fit my little harbor freight band saw .... It seems that I may need to just grit my teeth and build my own bandsaw, cuz I don't have 400+ dollars to shell out to buy a saw capable of using those blades...

Thankfully, Matthias Wendel has a few awesome home made bandsaw blade builds on youtube for me to follow ... and plans too! :)

In any case, I'll just hope I don't need any more than what I've already cut up, for now.

Top Bottom