Machine Oil to Use with Tormek Leather Honing Compound

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hi Folks:

I have two questions:
  1. What is machine oil?
  2. W
hich one do I use to prep a leather strop for Tormek Leather Honing Compound?

The Tormek instructions state to prep the leather strop with machine oil.

Thank you for reading.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

'Machine oil' is a light lubricant typically used on sewing machines and other light-duty machines. The brand that I'm most familiar with is 'Three-in-One'; other relatively well-know brands 'Liquid Wrench' and 'Marvel Mystery Oil'. The critical characteristic of these oils is that they are free flowing and not very viscous.

Contrary to popular opinion, WD-40 is not a light machine oil.

TonyL

Thank you... That's why I asked. I would have used WD 40. I haven't bough 3 in 1 in decades. I would get some soon. Thanks again!

Cloven

I probably wouldn't use WD40 if I were you, I'd use an actual oil. Sewing machine or 3 in one, as mentioned, would be good. A mineral oil would be best. The lighter the viscosity, the better. It's to condition the leather and just generally keep it from drying out.

jttheclockman

Many people with that tool use mineral oil. I use Neatsfoot oil. Used for many many years on my baseball gloves.

KenV

Tony -- Looks like you are ending your sharpening journey with a Tormek -- That will do a good job making steel sharp!!!!

Glen Lucas is a strong advocate of tormek for sharp.

I will probably end up there as my joints get worse --- but maybe not until next year.

TonyL

Hi Kevin:

I could have bought anything, but heard many good things about a 1 x 42 belt grinder (Kalamazoo). It was recommended to me by a fellow turner. It was also 1/4 the price. If I didn't like it, it's a small investment. I bought a bunch of belts (80 to 1400 grit) and the One Way jigs and I have been delighted with the results. However, I am only sharpening two concave oval skews and a spindle master. I finish my sharpening with a leather stop that needs to be "treated" with a light machine oil before applying the tormek honing cream to the strop.

Top Bottom