Looking For A Tool Bag

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hi Folks:

I thought you may save me some Googling and lead me to a tool bag that you like. I was think of buying another gun range bag would serve my needs.

I would like it to hold:
  • Several chisels (standard size)
  • A half dozen blanks
  • Vapor mask
  • A half dozen kits
  • Abranet/Sandpaper
  • CA/Epoxy
  • Accelerant
  • You get the idea

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
as ridiculous as this sounds, but a carry on luggage bag might be a better bet. Look in Thrift stores, Goodwill and similar. It will be big enough for your tools and plenty of internal pockets for the small things... if you have longer tools that don't fit. soft sided pool cue bag.

dogcatcher

Get some used tennis balls and make covers for the ends of you chisels. If they are as sharp as they should be the tennis balls will save the day for you. Another option is at the hardware store and buy different sizes of clear plastic tubing. I prefer the plastic tubing/hose for carving chisels and tennis balls for my lathe chisels.

TimS124

I had tennis balls covering the ends of the rails on my bandsaw to minimize the impact when I bumped into those rails (small, crowded shop). After a few years, the balls causing serious rusting on the rails. I guess the felt covering of the balls held enough humidity or something else reacted.

I would opt for the clear plastic tubing instead at least for long term usage. Tennis balls likely work just fine if they're moved often enough to catch any impending rust long before it becomes a noticeable problem.

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
Since you are into aquariums maybe you can give me a suggestion: I was given a scroll saw as a present. It's great except the bellows type sawdust blower doesn't really work well. I read that some scroll sawyers use an aquarium air pump to blow sawdust off the workpiece. I'd like to have a powerful enough one to do the job but want to save money as much as possible. Any ideas on what size to get?

TonyL

That's actually not a bad idea. Let me check the Internet. I am thinking a Tetra Luft Pump. You can also buy any of the pumps at Wal-mart and see if they provide enough air flow. I will be right with you.

TonyL

I would get this one:
Amazon.com : Tetra 26075 Whisper Aquarium Air Pump AP150, up to 150-Gallon : Fish Air Pump : Pet Supplies

You can spend much less or much more. I think this is right in the middle and is priced right.

This one is available at Wal-mart:

Aqua Culture: 20-60 Gallon, Double Outlet Aquarium Air Pump, 1 Ct - Walmart.com

I also checked my house for one to give you. I really don't use them to moved water; I use water pumps.

There's a company called Hydrofoam that makes more powerful and expensive pumps.

I would get one rated for an aquarium of 90 gallons (they are always over-rated..in other words, less powerful than advertised).

Keep in mind the distance from the pump to the output area. Most are good within 3 to 6 feet of the output area.

You have lots of options that will serve your needs. Also remember that you can always cut down air flow with a .99 cent valve (but can't add to it). I would get more than I think I need and cut it back.

Petco and Petsmart are overpriced unless there is a sale or you have a coupon.

Good luck...that is an excellent idea!

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
Thanks very much for the suggestions. I'll look for one for at least a 90 gallon aquarium. I kept fish a long long time ago. I had a couple of "Silent Giant" air pumps which were great. I checked and it seems that they are no longer made and I sold mine when I got of of the fish hobby. Thanks again for the help!

randyrls

I had tennis balls covering the ends of the rails on my bandsaw to minimize the impact when I bumped into those rails (small, crowded shop).

I have used the rubber push on feet used with table legs for guards. They work well and are water proof. Measure the rail and get bumpers for that size.

KenV

Tony -- I use tools that come free from handles for traveling. Thompson, Kelton, D-Way and others. I put them into a cross bow bolt case to travel.

http://www.amazon.com/MTM-BHCB-41-C...436142596&sr=8-1&keywords=cross+bow+bolt+case

For under $20 one can carry lots of blades and a few handles. I use mostly 3/8 and a few 1/2 inch tools along with handles. The blades are protected as well as the case. comes with foam inserts to hold the tools.

One can pack a lot of iron that way -- and do so with easy safety for airplane travel.

TonyL

Tony -- I use tools that come free from handles for traveling. Thompson, Kelton, D-Way and others. I put them into a cross bow bolt case to travel.

Amazon.com : MTM Crossbow Bolt Case : Archery Bow Cases : Sports & Outdoors

For under $20 one can carry lots of blades and a few handles. I use mostly 3/8 and a few 1/2 inch tools along with handles. The blades are protected as well as the case. comes with foam inserts to hold the tools.

One can pack a lot of iron that way -- and do so with easy safety for airplane travel.

I like that! My tools are D-way, but 3/4". I will see if they fit! Thanks!

shastastan

they make a tool bag that fits inside of a 5 gallon bucket, with pockets on the outside.
believe it is called a bucket buddy, at your local big orange hardware store

I got the Bucket bag at HF for 3.99. I use it for my home fix it bag. Plenty of pockets for screwdrivers, pliers, etc. with a hammer and Japanese hand saw and battery drill in the middle. When anything needs fixing, I just grab the bucket and save a bunch of trips back and forth to the shop. I used a bucket from pool chemicals. Had it for years.

TonyL

I received the bow holder that KenV recommended today. It will serve my purposes very well.

Bikerdad

When you say "chisels", do you mean woodworker's bench chisels, or do you mean lathe tools? If the latter, then you should be looking at a mason's bag, otherwise you'll have some trouble finding a tool bag long enough. If the former, there's legions of options.

never mind, saw that you've already found a solution....

Last edited:
Top Bottom