Looking for suggestions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I recently moved my shop into an area in my garage. Dust collection is an issue for me. Right now I'm using a small portable shop vac. I'm looking for suggestions to upgrade, but it has to be on the smaller side. I'd also like to stay on the cheaper end of the scale.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

1. Hold your breath for several minutes.
2. Get a dust collector system. Several on the market. FWIW, there is one from Harbor Freight that gets mixed reviews. Biggest complaint is the bag isn't fine enough and some have had parts missing. But, some have said that customer service is good about returning items. About $179.00, if I recall. Get a 20% off coupon and save a bit. I'm considering one but am cramped for space.
Good luck.

dogcatcher

A box fan with a couple of furnace filters will clean the air, not perfect but better than nothing. I have two filters on the intake side and another on the exhaust. Blow out the motor with compressed air every so often, or you fan will eventually die on you.

On the shop vac, add a 5 gallon bucket separator in between the collection point and the shop vac. Your filter in the shop vac will plug up with the fine dust, if it uses disposable bags, buy a bunch, you will go through them. If the cloth bag that has to be cleaned, clean it often or you lose efficiency.

TonyL

I own the wall-mount rocker that is connect to my 1015...and in my opinion and experience, that is the only thing it is good for. I basically use the 1015 the just to trim barrels using an offset sanding jig - doesn't exactly produce that much dust.

I also own a ShopFox 1.5 HP DC and like it. It is dedicated to my 1221 and does a great job. When I bought the Shop Fox, I was actually about to buy the Jet with the same horsepower. The guy at the WW shop said they were the same unit basically. I am not saying that I agree with him...I actually have no idea, but I took a chance and saved some money. I did have a switch blow after 2 months, but they sent me a new one and I was up and running in 5 days.

I was thinking of buying another DC with the Jet sale going on, but I have really been happy with the SF. I did replace the "bags" with the smallest micron bags available. I also have a pretty large air cleaner (Jet) and all of my DCs are dedicated to one piece of equipment with no more than a 6 foot run from DC to tool. I l also own a Rigid shop vacuum which I find indispensable for picking up around tools and the floor.

That is my experience. I am hoping that I am wrong about the wall-mount Rockler. I bought it new, from a who won it...the only consolation was that I only paid $100 for it with a bunch of attachments that I have never used. That's my two cents. I am eager to hear what others think!

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
A box fan with a couple of furnace filters will clean the air, not perfect but better than nothing. I have two filters on the intake side and another on the exhaust. Blow out the motor with compressed air every so often, or you fan will eventually die on you.

On the shop vac, add a 5 gallon bucket separator in between the collection point and the shop vac. Your filter in the shop vac will plug up with the fine dust, if it uses disposable bags, buy a bunch, you will go through them. If the cloth bag that has to be cleaned, clean it often or you lose efficiency.

I'll look into the bucket idea. I'm also limited on space. I'll take a few pics tonight or tomorrow to show you guys what I'm working with.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I'm not sure how inexpensive you are looking. I agree with Tony.

Harbor Freight has this one (1hp) for $144.99
https://www.harborfreight.com/13-gal-1-hp-industrial-portable-dust-collector-61808.html
It can be had for less with a 20% coupon and even an occasional 25% coupon on special days. The $144.99 is the normal price and it occasionally goes on sale probably at $129 or less, and if not in coupon form for the sale, the 20% coupon can reduce it even more.

These things have shot up in price. I got this same one about 4 or 5 years ago for $70-$75 with coupon. I also bought the 2 hp new in box on eBay for $110 two years ago. Ebay is more expensive for HF DCs than HF is now.

Also, look at Home Depot and Lowes (or other for a 30 - 40 gallon round trash can. Cut a piece of ply round to fit over the top of it and cut a ring the size of the inside of the trash can and glue it on the top. This will keep it in place. Buy a stretch of self stick door/window foam seal and add it to help the seal. Add a couple of inlets/outlets and you have a larger "separator" that doesn't have to be emptied as often.

You can do/add this setup to a strong shop vac also.

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Ernie I took my HF to my cousins house in Illinois. I'm not sure he's going to use it. If I get it back before you get something else you're welcome to it. Don't know when that will be though. :redface:

Terredax

Banned
We bought this one... https://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-industrial-5-micron-dust-collector-97869.html

We weren't expecting much for the price. We got it for $149, I believe, on sale and a coupon. It's comparable to the name brands based on the specs.

We were actually surprised at how well this thing works. It has a lot of suction, in fact, the hose came loose from the bracket one day, and I made the mistake of picking it up while the DC was running. It inadvertently got stuck to my leg with cargo jeans on. I couldn't release it until I turned off the power. Even left a nice bruise the next day.

We didn't do the recommended bag upgrade, since we have it located in an enclosed room behind the mill.

Top Bottom