Looking for Respirator suggestions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

I always wear a respirator when turning or working with CA and other finishes but I no longer can find replacement cartridges to fit my mask. I don't think I want to go with a powered mask at this point. I have been looking around online for a good mask with readily available cartridges. There are so many choices that it gets very confusing.

I though I would pose the question here and see what you guys recommend.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randy pote

mark i use a MSA advantage 200 respirator we use to use them at my work then we went to a full face i took my old one and use it when i'm turning works really well i know you can get differant cartridge for them plus they are made in pittsburgh

Jim Burr

Banned
Remember to Mark, CA is classified as a VOC and your cartridge should contain a type of activated charcoal to filter VOC's and be clearly labled as such.

Dick Mahany

I used to use a 3M mask with the ~2" round screw in filters, but couldn't find replacement filters easily.

Now I use a 3M 7502/37082 half face silicone mask and use 3M 60923 NIOSH cartridge filters which are approved for organic vapors, in addition to several other clasifications. It also has an integrated P100 filter which is 99.7 % efficient for particulate aerosols. The filters are readily available, but there are many different kinds, so specifications need to be checked carefully. I got mine from Grainger on-line.

I always protect my lungs and use a Trend Airshield pro when turning, but it doesn't offer protection from vapors, hence the 3M version.

Last edited:

Boz

When the respirators that our company was using were discontinued I was able to take a couple of masks and filters. I find many of the plastic blanks to be very offensive in the odor they give off when you turn them. The organic vapor filters do a great job filtering the air. I guess when they are gone I will be in the market for a new system.

Rchan63

Sorry for going off topic but what do you do when your shop is in your basement? How you you protect your family when using CA?

randyrls

Sorry for going off topic but what do you do when your shop is in your basement? How you you protect your family when using CA?

I position a dust collector hose directly behind the blank. It gets all the shavings, sanding dust, and CA fumes. I don't have a problem with CA. Nobody smells it either.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator

I position a dust collector hose directly behind the blank. It gets all the shavings, sanding dust, and CA fumes. I don't have a problem with CA. Nobody smells it either.

Ding ding ding, this is the best answer if you can swing it. One thing that always baffles me is when people swear on their dust masks etc but as soon as they finish turning, they take off the mask. What happens to all that airborne dust floating around in your shop? It does not magically disappear as soon as you take off your mask! Instead, you breath it in which is what you were trying to avoid in the first place. Of course this is mute if you have open doors and windows with a fan blowing it all out.

Save for a ultra low micron rated dust collector and collect the dust at it source and never let it get in the air to begin with! Your lungs will thank you later!

Sorry to be on the soap box but my dad died of nasopharyngeal (sinus) cancer due exclusively to exposure to plywood saw dust as a carpenter. Would not want to see any of my friends have to go through what he went through!

MarkD

Ding ding ding, this is the best answer if you can swing it. One thing that always baffles me is when people swear on their dust masks etc but as soon as they finish turning, they take off the mask. What happens to all that airborne dust floating around in your shop? It does not magically disappear as soon as you take off your mask! Instead, you breath it in which is what you were trying to avoid in the first place. Of course this is mute if you have open doors and windows with a fan blowing it all out.

Save for a ultra low micron rated dust collector and collect the dust at it source and never let it get in the air to begin with! Your lungs will thank you later!

Sorry to be on the soap box but my dad died of nasopharyngeal (sinus) cancer due exclusively to exposure to plywood saw dust as a carpenter. Would not want to see any of my friends have to go through what he went through!

I totally agree, I have a 4" dust collection line attached to a dust hood directly behind the blank. The respirator is just extra insurance.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I totally agree, I have a 4" dust collection line attached to a dust hood directly behind the blank. The respirator is just extra insurance.

That is good to hear! Many people don't think about this and depend on their masks and then take them off and breath all the bad stuff anyway!

The only other thing to consider, if you haven't, is the micron rating of your DC bags/filter. If it is higher than a micron, you are just pumping the dangerous stuff right back into your shop unless you have it vented outside. Sorry to sound preachy, I have just been through all the related health nightmares with my dad and his cancer a couple of years ago! I would rather seem preachy with the hopes that I open some folks eyes than to see any of my IAP friends have to deal with the trauma he went through!

Rchan63

Thanks for those great ideas about dust collections and I do have a micron filter bag.
What about the fumes that CA generates when curing or from activator we spray or any other finishes we use for out crafts?

kooster

Check out Gempler's site. Call and speak to their support staff as needed. Great advice for any specific needs and prices are reasonable.

SteveJ

I used to use a 3M mask with the ~2" round screw in filters, but couldn't find replacement filters easily.

Now I use a 3M 7502/37082 half face silicone mask and use 3M 60923 NIOSH cartridge filters which are approved for organic vapors, in addition to several other clasifications. It also has an integrated P100 filter which is 99.7 % efficient for particulate aerosols. The filters are readily available, but there are many different kinds, so specifications need to be checked carefully. I got mine from Grainger on-line.

I always protect my lungs and use a Trend Airshield pro when turning, but it doesn't offer protection from vapors, hence the 3M version.

Do you wear the silicone mask under the Airshield?

kooster

Check out Gempler's site. You can call them for tech advice on what your specific needs/applications are.

Top Bottom