Looking for recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

H2O

Can anyone recommend a good quality dust collector?
I've read about the different brands, but what exactly should a person look for?
Harbor Freight has a 2hp with a 5 micron bag and 1550cfm for $209 and a coupon could be used to lower that price.
Is there really anything different between this DC as opposed to the big names that cost three times as much?
Your advice is appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I am pleased with my 1.5 hp shopfox with the smallest micron bag. I know there are much better out there, But I am only using it on one lather at a time and I only turn pens.

plantman

CFM is the big number to look for when buying a dust collector. The more air you move the better the results. 2hp, 5 micron bag, and around $160 is a good deal. The difference between this and more expensive models may be the gauge of metal used in construction, bearings, and where it was made. Look for one with excepts both 3 and 6 inch hoses and has a Y fitting on the intake. Noise levels may be a factor also. I have a PSI 2hp, 5 micron, 1550 cfm roll around dust collector that I have used for over 20 years with no problems what so ever. One thing about Harbor Freight, if you are not satisfied with something you buy, for any reason, they will take it back and refund your money !! Jim S

Last edited:

Skie_M

Make sure your coupon specifically says it's allowed for that kind of item ... the 20% and 25% off ones have limitations on what it can be applied to.

PSI has some decent looking dust collection solutions ... this one is their portable version.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC660P.html

Collect dust from any machine anywhere with this economical, powerful and portable dust collector. Features include:

1-micron filter bag
10" impeller
1HP motor blower
660 CFM, 8.5" MAX S.P
4" inlet & outlet
110V, 8 Amps

cost is around 210 dollars ... (10% off, end of summer sale, but you might be willing to wait for another sale or discount to pop up), run up to 15 ft

The next step up is still portable, on caster wheels ..

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC2V3.html

New & improved model! Keep your shop clean and comfortable with the 1-Micron Dustroyer. This 1-1/2HP dust collector is suitable for any shop or large or small. It gives superior air flow and improved service for long runs of hose or duct systems. This unit generates 1250CFM and runs effortlessly on 110V - using much less power yet providing nearly the same performance as similar units with 2HP or more. Comes standard with high filtration 1-micron filter bags and band clamps ONLY SHIPS IN CONTINENTAL USA

cost on this unit is around 289 dollars run up to 25 ft

for 220v power in a still-portable style (but you can enclose it like the previous one), https://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC2000B.html is available for 2HP power.

A 2HP Dust Collector with Quality, a Great Price and Exceptional Performance Originally $345, this 2HP collector is ideal for any shop, large or small with 220V electrical service available. It gives superior air flow and improved service for long runs of hose. The unit generates 1500 CFM and will keep your shop dust free. It's on casters to move from machine to machine or connect it to a critical machine for standalone collection. Features of this model include: "Y" inlet connects to 2 machines 12" impeller delivers 1500 CFM Quiet and powerful 2 HP 220V motor Max Static Pressure 9.5" 1-micron Vu-Thru Bags standard

price point for this model is 299 dollars, but it would need a 240 volt outlet.

H2O

CFM is the big number to look for when buying a dust collector. The more air you move the better the results. 2hp, 5 micron bag, and around $160 is a good deal. The difference between this and more expensive models may be the gauge of metal used in construction, bearings, and where it was made. Look for one with excepts both 3 and 6 inch hoses and has a Y fitting on the intake. Noise levels may be a factor also. I have a PSI 2hp, 5 micron, 1550 cfm roll around dust collector that I have used for over 20 years with no problems what so ever. One thing about Harbor Freight, if you are not satisfied with something you buy, for any reason, they will take it back and refund your money !! Jim S

It shows a y connector for the inlet, but I believe it's only 4". I don't think I would need 6", in fact, I would need to reduce it at the machine.
It sounds similar to the one you have, same specs.
Doesn't HF sell the same product that Grizzly and similar places sell?

Make sure your coupon specifically says it's allowed for that kind of item ... the 20% and 25% off ones have limitations on what it can be applied to.

PSI has some decent looking dust collection solutions ... this one is their portable version.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC660P.html

Collect dust from any machine anywhere with this economical, powerful and portable dust collector. Features include:

1-micron filter bag
10" impeller
1HP motor blower
660 CFM, 8.5" MAX S.P
4" inlet & outlet
110V, 8 Amps

cost is around 210 dollars ... (10% off, end of summer sale, but you might be willing to wait for another sale or discount to pop up), run up to 15 ft

The next step up is still portable, on caster wheels ..

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC2V3.html

New & improved model! Keep your shop clean and comfortable with the 1-Micron Dustroyer. This 1-1/2HP dust collector is suitable for any shop or large or small. It gives superior air flow and improved service for long runs of hose or duct systems. This unit generates 1250CFM and runs effortlessly on 110V - using much less power yet providing nearly the same performance as similar units with 2HP or more. Comes standard with high filtration 1-micron filter bags and band clamps ONLY SHIPS IN CONTINENTAL USA

cost on this unit is around 289 dollars run up to 25 ft

for 220v power in a still-portable style (but you can enclose it like the previous one), https://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC2000B.html is available for 2HP power.

A 2HP Dust Collector with Quality, a Great Price and Exceptional Performance Originally $345, this 2HP collector is ideal for any shop, large or small with 220V electrical service available. It gives superior air flow and improved service for long runs of hose. The unit generates 1500 CFM and will keep your shop dust free. It's on casters to move from machine to machine or connect it to a critical machine for standalone collection. Features of this model include: "Y" inlet connects to 2 machines 12" impeller delivers 1500 CFM Quiet and powerful 2 HP 220V motor Max Static Pressure 9.5" 1-micron Vu-Thru Bags standard

price point for this model is 299 dollars, but it would need a 240 volt outlet.

Those are all less HP and less CFM and cost more. Then the cost of shipping I can avoid by picking up locally.
Also, it would need to pick up a lot of dust, fast.

I read the coupon and it doesn't list dust collectors, I also tried the code online, and it accepted it. It would be $167.99 + tax.

Thanks for the advice so far.

JimB

The filter/bag micron number is also very important. PSI is 1 micron and that is better than the HF 5 micron because it will capture smaller particles. Many people buy the HF and then change the bag or modify it for a cartridge. I think there is instructions in the library. You can also google it.

plantman

H20; I use the 6" for my planer, it sucks up a lot of chips in a short amount of time. I also have 4" and 2" connectors. You might also want to look into getting a garbage can or plastic can with a top that has an inlet and outlet connection in the lid to hook ahead of your dust collector. This will drop any large chips into it and save you from emptying your bags so often. I made one out of an old 30 gallon Craftsman shop vac, a piece of plywood for the top , and added two connectors for the intake and output. I believe that Edgar just purchased one ready made, or at least the top, ask him where he found it. He also had a thread with photos a while back showing how he set up his dust collector as a central vac. system. In answer to your question, most non US made items are made by only a few companies in China and sold in the US by different dealers under there own names. If you are only going to turn pens and smaller objects, you can get by with a smaller unit, but in this case bigger is better, and under $170.00 is better yet. Jim S

plantman

H20; Here is something else to consider !! No matter If you have a 6", 4", or 2" hose on your dust collector, if it is rated at say 1550 cfm for that size inlet, they will all move the same volume of air per minute. However, if you reduce or increase the size of your hose or have one or more inlets open at a time, you will increase or reduce your air speed dramatically. That is why we install waste gates at machines when we have more than one hooked up in the system, to block off the intake to the machine not being used, and keep the vacuum pressure the same. Longer runs on systems will also change the volume of air moved. Too many bends in your system will create more friction and decrease the flow of air also. You may also need a grounding wire to eliminate static buildup and shocks on your system. Jim S

Last edited:

csr67

I just installed the 1hp shop fox wall mount in my shop last night. I'll get a review up shortly. So far, I really like it. I added a $9 remote control and some Rockler Dust Right fittings/hose. It's soooooo nice to turn a pen in a clean dust free shop!

I bought the Shop Fox through Amazon Prime for $237 and it was at my door in two days. I was going to buy the Rockler unit, but the Shop Fox has more power and a better bag for the price.

Top Bottom