Looking for a pen press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LOIBLB

I have been having issues using my lathe tailstock to press pens together.
What pen press should I buy? As you can see the tip of this one is off to one side.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20161008_161134_resized.jpg
    20161008_161134_resized.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 281
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

1 ... Ream the inside of your pen barrels before turning on the lathe (this applies if you are turning between centers or turning on a mandrel) to make sure that the barrels are turned true.

2 ... Ream the inside of the pen barrels just before pressing the parts in, just incase something happened to create a snag or you missed a blob of glue or something previously, as these can cause mis-alignment of the pen parts as you are pressing them in.

3 ... Turn the pen barrel/parts while pressing slowly to ensure that any off-center pressing action is minimized and you end up with properly centered parts.

4 ... Ensure that while you are trimming your barrels, you are trimming them true and flush so that when you press the parts up to the barrels, they are not slanted, giving you a strange angle on your final work.

5 ... Keep in mind that all these tips are here because WE HAVE ALL DONE THESE THINGS AND WE ARE ALL ONLY HUMAN. :) Been there, done that, have the tattoo, ect ...

qquake

I've been using my drill press since I started turning pens. Hasn't let me down.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 227
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 223
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 267

randyrls

I try to never buy a single use tool. I want tools that can be used for a wide range of tasks. I made oak jaw covers for my woodworkers vise. They attach with small magnets. When they get worn, and they are that way now, I just retrieve the magnets and make new oak faces.

AS Gregory (Skie_M) said, if the face of the blank end is not perpendicular to the brass tube, you can press the nib or top in crooked. This can also create out of round problems.

You can certainly disassemble the pen and try again.

leehljp

Member Liaison
If you are into tools for other work, the Harbor Freight arbor press can be used for a greater variety of things. Unfortunately it is getting expensive. They used to have 3 versions, now only 1. I have the one listed below ($59.99) and it cost me less than $30 just about 5 years ago. There are 20% off coupons available that will reduce the price that much.

1 Ton Arbor Press & Other Arbor Presses - Harbor Freight Tools

TonyL

I gave away my milescraft to fellow turner (well-made product...just wasn't for me). I found that I had more control using the lathe inserts. Before that I used a bench vise with rubber pads (I also liked that better than the milescraft in terms of control).

mike4066

The alignment issue you posted won't necessarily be fixed with a pen press. There is nothing wrong with buying a press, but start with SKIE's recommendations for making sure it's "prepped well". That will help with alignment and prevent splitting thing blanks due to tight fits. Lots of great advice in this thread.

I have a small shop and have used a number of different methods, usually with stuff I've had on hand.

1) Lathe with some plastic inserts: Method I've used the most. Very easy to control, not the "fastest" with having to screw/unscrew the tailstock.

2) Wooden screw clamps: Worked ok, a bit awkward to hold though and could be tough on tight pens. If clamped to a table it can work ok.

3) Squeeze quick clamps: same as above, a bit difficult to hold unless its clamped down, and harder to regulate the amount of force.

4) Pipe/Bar clamps with wood/leather to protect the metal on metal contact. Probably one of my favorites, really easy to control pressure with one hand while holding the pen with the other.

5) wood bench vice: very easy, quick and already something most of us have in our shop. Easy to hold the pen and turn the vice with the other hand.

6) Drill press: My current method, very fast, easy to control and hold. Put a scrap of wood down to protect the metal on metal contact.

Paul in OKC

If you are into tools for other work, the Harbor Freight arbor press can be used for a greater variety of things. Unfortunately it is getting expensive. They used to have 3 versions, now only 1. I have the one listed below ($59.99) and it cost me less than $30 just about 5 years ago. There are 20% off coupons available that will reduce the price that much.

1 Ton Arbor Press & Other Arbor Presses - Harbor Freight Tools

I have the 1/2 ton model. Less distance between the ram and plate, but with it bolted to a table and the plate removed, gives plenty of room.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I too bought into the "$40 pen press is required" idea but have since come to my better idea.
This will take you 15 minutes, cost $.10 and is pretty much fool proof. You have a lathe so make these from some scrap maple, put them in the head and tail stock morse tapers and crank the pen together. Easy peasy.
WB

Attachments

• pen press option 1.jpg
    pen press option 1.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 114
  • pen press option 2.jpg
    pen press option 2.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 145

Skie_M

Oh ... I forgot to mention what I use for my own pen press ...

I went to Harbor Freight and got a Drill Press Vise. It was about 20 dollars, and came with waffle-grip steel jaws. This was unsatisfactory for my needs, so I got some vinyl angle plastic (for shelving supports) from a shop up the street that was throwing them out and made exact size replacements out of them for my vise... it's served me well ever since I got it! :)

Anthraquinone

I just turned two pieces of wood to a rough Morse taper with a wider end. Inset an offcut from an acrylic blank into that with the centre dished out and have never had any trouble. It is much more controllable than a pen press and the dished end make it somewhat self centring. You have to be careful with the alignment though. If you are not you will have the same problem with a pen press.

Top Bottom