looking for a new band saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lathe monkey

I did a search, most of the threads where a bit old, just wondering if there's anything new and improved on band saws?, I want to buy a new saw, don't really plan on resawing, but I want something that is good for wood working, there's so much out there that its confusing . my budget will around $1000. cdn
thank you for in put, I will be moving into a new shop this fall and it would be nice to have a new shiny tool!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I hate recommending them but in that budget look at Grizzly. Either the 14" or 17" Please stay away from Harbor freight. Every saw will have plus and minuses.

Last edited:

KenV

Welded steel frame saws have taken over much of the market. They are shoving out the cast iron 14 inch saws of great volume a decade or two ago.

Look at Rikon and some of the Canadian brands with local service in Ontario.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I think this one, a 14'' cast iron bed Jet, is a good price compared to what you would pay in the UK. I expect the price of $900 US would be similar in Canada?
As it's on Amazon, maybe you can get it from Amazon Canada?
I really don't know, I just thought you could get more tool for your buck than we can..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KQAMN8?tag=wmtogr-20

Curly

Busy Bee has a bandsaw to consider it is under your budget but unless you are heading into the centre of the universe, shipping will take you to it. It meets your requirements but having never laid eyes on it or any of their newer saws I can't vouch for it's quality. They have another, better one but it seems to be out of stock. You could ask when replacements are due in.

Lee Valley are now selling one of the Rikon saws but it's more money.

Amazon.ca for the same thing.
https://www.amazon.ca/Power-Tools-1...=UTF8&qid=1488730615&sr=8-7&keywords=band+saw.

And a Shop Fox.
https://www.amazon.ca/Shop-Fox-W170...UTF8&qid=1488730615&sr=8-10&keywords=band+saw

Lots to pick from at Grizzly but exchange and shipping can make them unaffordable.
Shop Tools and Machinery at Grizzly.com

There are likely other places to look but that's all that come to mind.

skiprat. Unfortunately our dollar is worth about a third less than the US, so importing big stuff doesn't often give us any better deals than what we can get here.

lathe monkey

thank you for the response , looks like ill have to boost my budget at bit, those are nice saws , I don't mind spending $$ on good equipment .
that rikon from lee valley looking pretty good, and the plus side I will moving only a couple of hours from lee valley in Ottawa!!

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Grizzly

https://youtu.be/YUsKPWwFHe8

Things to look at that can affect price.

--- Resaw capabilities (ability to add riser block or comes at a determined height already)
---fence (come with or after market) (some saws will not allow the fence to be placed on either side of the blade. Only left side)
---blade guide system (do not want metal blocks. better with cool blocks or bearings)
---Ease of blade changing(some saws the blade slot is to the side and from in the front. If you add a fence system that has rails, and is a front blade change then you will have to remove the rail every time you change blades)
---Ease of adjusting tension on blade ( some come with lever tension and some come with turn knob tension) (Lever can be added but at an additional expense)
---Ease of blade tracking and blade guide system Rikon has been known for a poor set up in this area but it may not bother you.
---Important HP of motor 1-1/2HP to 2HP for 14" saw is ideal
---enclosed stand as opposed to open stand will affect the dust collection system
---Weight (want a cast iron table with ease of tilt) Would love to have cast iron frame too but hard to come by)
---East on off switch location
--- Will want to put on wheels so some come with a wheel system but easily to build your own.
---Size of blade ability. (most will allow up to 3/4" blade) good for resawing

These are just some things to look for when looking for a quality bandsaw and being you are up there in the price range you have some nice choices. Good luck. I can not help with the Canada VS US or any other country shopping and comparisons money wise.

lathe monkey

Grizzly

https://youtu.be/YUsKPWwFHe8

Things to look at that can affect price.

--- Resaw capabilities (ability to add riser block or comes at a determined height already)
---fence (come with or after market) (some saws will not allow the fence to be placed on either side of the blade. Only left side)
---blade guide system (do not want metal blocks. better with cool blocks or bearings)
---Ease of blade changing(some saws the blade slot is to the side and from in the front. If you add a fence system that has rails, and is a front blade change then you will have to remove the rail every time you change blades)
---Ease of adjusting tension on blade ( some come with lever tension and some come with turn knob tension) (Lever can be added but at an additional expense)
---Ease of blade tracking and blade guide system Rikon has been known for a poor set up in this area but it may not bother you.
---Important HP of motor 1-1/2HP to 2HP for 14" saw is ideal
---enclosed stand as opposed to open stand will affect the dust collection system
---Weight (want a cast iron table with ease of tilt) Would love to have cast iron frame too but hard to come by)
---East on off switch location
--- Will want to put on wheels so some come with a wheel system but easily to build your own.
---Size of blade ability. (most will allow up to 3/4" blade) good for resawing

These are just some things to look for when looking for a quality bandsaw and being you are up there in the price range you have some nice choices. Good luck. I can not help with the Canada VS US or any other country shopping and comparisons money wise.

this is great info
thank you for posting

Skie_M

Don't forget to check your local version of Craig's List for a decent used deal .... or ask your local woodworkers if they are upgrading to a new bandsaw (or planning to) and want to sell their current one. (which would help them out, by getting them the money they need for the replacement quite a bit faster than just saving up...)

Top Bottom