Looking for the mitersaw blank jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

navycop

I thought I saw on here a jig for cutting blanks on a mitersaw. It had a space to put the tube, then the blank was the exact size. I searched for it with negative results. How does the IAP community cut thier blanks?
Bandsaw, mitersaw, tablesaw???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

I use a mitersaw, but I don't have any kind of jig??
Simply draw a line where I have laid the tube down, and cut.

Now if your talking about mass producing a bunch, you could always use a small piece of wood and a clamp. Slide the wood where ever it needs to be and clamp it in place... You'd be surprised how well it'll stay in place!

Scott (I keep it simple) B

KenV

Mike -- I do not have it either but have seen it

As I remember, a zero clearance bed of MDF with a sliding stop and a couple of Staco style clamps to hold both ends of the blank. The sliding block was set with the tube and blade and the clamps held both sides of the cut.

Good layout in general for zero clearance bed and jigs for chop saw is in the Malcolm Tibbits book -- he is acknowledged as one of the masters of segmented construction and turning.

Sorry I cannot be of more assistance --

manatee

I use the one from PSI and it works great.I marked my Mitre saw fence so I could take it off and reinstall it easily. Save a lot of material also.

fernhills

PenMan1

Sorry, Mike. Someone posted a shop built jig for this task in the last two weeks. I have looked and can't find the post now.

I guess that just points out the importance of posting things into the library!

There is a post here SOMEWHERE that shows how to build this.

Phil Hansen

Last edited:

PenMan1

I bought the one from PSI. It works ok, but has a design flaw.

Because of the design, the blank is raised off the miter saw bed by 1/8 inch. Unless a sacrificial piece is piace underneath the blank, it chips the end or doesn't cut square.

Additionally, the blank hold down screw makes the jig virtually worthless on round blanks.

The shop made jig posted here awhile back is far superior.

manatee

Andy, I haven't had chip out problems with the PSI jig but the hold down is not ideal for round blanks. I tend to hold round blanks with my hand (not very safe!) in the jig. I also adjust the jig to cut the blanks 1/16 larger on both sides so absolute squareness is not a problem as it gets corrected when I square the blank later. For shorter blanks the saw blade guard will hit the jig but I have a sliding compound that solves that problem.

Papo

Hello Mike..I believe the one for the mitersaw was posted by snowb46.I have it on my saved tips but cannot upload it, try and send him a pm he's a pretty cool guy.Hope this helps

Papo

th_1.jpg

Hello Mike..I believe the one for the mitersaw was posted by snowb46.I have it on my saved tips but cannot upload it, try and send him a pm he's a pretty cool guy.Hope this helps

Here you go.

Top Bottom