Looking for a live center like George's

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

Reading the library article, "Crafting a Fountain Pen Grip Section" and I want to find a live center like the one George uses (he doesn't have a PM address, or I would have used it.) He mentions that he cut his down.

I found this:

Medium Duty Extended Nose Live Center ZLC L03002-MT2

The stats show it is .94" where it meets the larger diameter of the body, so your tool rest could get up to 1/2" from the center, and the nose is 1.65".

Am I missing anything important, or does this sound like a good substitute?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

I think I read somewhere that he made or altered this one him self. If you have a oneway style live centre it's real easy to make your own. I have made several different ones for mine.

Lin.

Katya

Hmm Mike-
Why is your suggestion a better one? I'm looking into tbc and have been wanting a live centre.. would I really need all these other accessories for doing advanced pen making?

I'd like to know what you think about tbc and live centres..
many thanks
Catherine

brownsfn2

If you order from zlivecenter let us know how they are. I almost ordered from them but got a look a like from Grizzly instead. Would love to know if they offer a good product.

thewishman

Thanks for the links. I didn't explain myself as clearly as I thought I had. I have a couple of nice live centers and am looking for one that will allow my tool rest to get close to my work for really small pieces. Mike, your linked tool looks good.

Haynie

Wayne, I have noticed that on several items. I think people go straight to ebay imagining it is going to be a better deal, without looking for the original seller. Happens a lot with Camera accessories.

Lenny

For getting close to your work, when TBC, nothing beats the custom tool rest made by Rick Herrell. (IAP member: rherrell)

edstreet

IMG_7905.JPG

I have been considering the short rest he makes but I also need a bowl rest as well.

watch_art

speed

I see a lot of these for sale are rated to 3000 rpms or so. Haven't seen any for 4000 which is what my Delta can turn. Are there any rated to that speed?

Top Bottom