Live/Dead center question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dwarmbrodt

Hi folks,
I am upgrading my MT2 live center as well as the dead while I am at it and for pen turning use is it a worthy upgrade to go with carbide tipped ones? Not that I plan on being a heavy use turner, but I am one of those "pay once, cry once" kinda guy.
Thanks in advance!
Doug

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick_G

I use this one and at $5.99 consider it disposable. LATHE CENTRE MT2 - Busy Bee Tools
They also have a carbide tipped one for $12.99 LATHE CENTRE MT2 CARBIDE TIP - Busy Bee Tools

I believe Busy Bee will ship to the States now although Grizzly has them at roughly the same price.

Grizzly.com

I square off my blanks with the brass tube resting on the center and also apply my CA this way so clean up eventually scratches the center. The carbide tip is small so it will go inside the brass tube. Works ok for Johnny CNC's bushings as long as I remember to change it before doing the other work.
http://www.busybeetools.com/products/LATHE-CENTRE-MT2.html

plano_harry

I have Johnny's carbide dead center and it still looks new, PSI non-carbide live center was bought before I started TBC and it is showing some wear and may need replacing soon, but still works well.

kooster

Nothing personal and certainly no offense intended . . . but from a customer's viewpoint, one gets somewhat weary of constantly seeing "Sold Out" on the site referenced above. Albeit, quality, craftsmanship, and value are vital components, "availability" makes things happen !!!

Nothing personal and certainly no offense intended . . . but from a customer's viewpoint, one gets somewhat weary of constantly seeing "Sold Out" on the site referenced above. Albeit, quality, craftsmanship, and value are vital components, "availability" makes things happen !!!

I think he just does this on his own. Did you ask him about making what you needed? I am not sure how he does things but I have also seen sold out on his site but things show up and go away like any of our sales sites. I bet is you asked he would make it and a few extras and the sold out would go away. I could be wrong about that I am just sayin..

Wildman

Do wish had bought carbide tipped center instead of HSS dead center Grizzly had them both on sale. My HSS center has served me well.

Not sure who has the best dead center, buy least expensive including shipping HSS or carbide tip can find.

kooster

Johnnycnc . . . John Goodin Pen Turners Products.
Quality made in USA. 'Nuff said.

Top Bottom