live center

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Can this ridge on my live center mess up my mandrel?

ForumRunner_20121202_170531.png

ForumRunner_20121202_170512.png

Levi Woodard
Woodardwoodworks.com

Sent from my Galaxy player using Forum Runner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Can I fix it or do I have to buy a new one?

Levi Woodard
Woodardwoodworks.com

Last edited:

robersonjr

You can resharpen the tip, just tape the live center so it turns when running the lathe then hold a file to the tip and file it til it's sharp. The live center needs to be in the head of the lathe for this.

Last edited:

sbell111

There's something to be said for cheapo live centers. If it starts to look like that one, you just chunk it in the trash and toss on a new one.

There's something to be said for cheapo live centers. If it starts to look like that one, you just chunk it in the trash and toss on a new one.

That might be the problem. it is from an 80s model lathe. The lathe had barly been used and I had to clean off all the rust. One factor of it being a cheapo might be after turning a while the metal will get hot to the touch.

Levi Woodard
Woodardwoodworks.com

My live centers do this too. I was told by a machinist that it was because the live center is not coming right up to speed with the lathe so there is some slippage as it speeds up. I use my disk sander to resurface mine. I simply hold it up to the disk and let it rotate and use my thumb to regulate the speed. It only takes a few seconds on the sander to fix it right up!

Top Bottom