Little Machine Shop 60° Live Center Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

Several years ago I purchased a 60° live center from the Little Machine Shop ($12.95)based on the recommendation of another member of IAP. It has served me well and I have recommended it to others. Sadly, that recommendation should have been accompanied by a warning.

The #1189 LC, which is the commonly recommended model, is about 3/16" shorter than the standard model LC and "WILL NOT" self-eject from the JET mini lathe. (I don't know if this is a problem with other lathes in the mini class of wood lathes?) This situation is clearly stated on the LMS site; but does not specifically mention the JET mini lathe. At the time I purchased the LC, I was new and not well informed enough to figure out there might be a problem.

For most folks, this is only a minor problem and many do not discover it for a long time as they install the new LC and never try to remove it. The easy solution is to place a scrap of wood between the back shoulder of the LC head and the front of the tailstock casting and then retract the spindle with the handwheel. The LC will pop right out.

Another alternative is to pay $12 more and purchase the standard length LC #2871. Surprisingly, LMS also has a HD "standard" length model #1592 and it is a buck less than the 2871?? For a mini lathe the HD model is really overkill and is some what longer than the other two LCs (because of the longer head) so the length of stock you can work in your lathe is reduced a little.

Since I already had a short LC in house, I had to find a solution that worked for me. What I did is turn a piece of scrap wood between centers to a diameter of 1/2" and then parted off a 1/4" section. After cleaning the small end of the LC taper very carefully to remove all traces of oil and grease, I epoxied the little wooden cylinder to the end of the taper making it just long enough that it will now
self-eject. I wasn't sure how long this glue-up might last; but so far it is doing just fine!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcollazo

I just use the knock-out tool that came with the Mini to ..... knock out the LMS LC when I need to put something else in the tailstock. Never had a problem with that procedure[8D]

cbonner

I am guessing the LMS center in question was intended for a mini metal lathe. I picked up a mini metal lathe for Christmas (if you are wondering... yes my wife chastises me for playing with my new toy prior to Christmas). I purchased a short MT to JT drill chuck mandrel from LMS. It self ejects perfectly for the metal lathe, but not on my Jet wood lathe. Fortunately, I purchased it specifically for the metal lathe and do not need it to cross over to the wood lathe. For the wood lathe, I started with a full size tang style mandrel and used a cut-off tool to remove the tang and shorten the mandrel to the proper size for my Jet and belt sanded the end square and smooth.

toolcrazy

Originally posted by jcollazo
<br />I just use the knock-out tool that came with the Mini to ..... knock out the LMS LC when I need to put something else in the tailstock. Never had a problem with that procedure[8D]

ditto for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom