Listing of most used drill bits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

I am trying to find a listing of the most commonly used drill bits for penmaking. I'm anxiously awaiting Carl Fisher's drill bit stand/holder, but in the meantime, I am simply wanting to develop a list and actually purchase all the bits!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

Don,

I decided to go at this question a different way. I bought the big Harbor Freight drill bit set with the TiN coating. Then I purchased pen kits that I liked and used the bits most closely matching the recommended size from the instructions. When I noticed the bits that were most frequently used, I purchased nice (Norseman) bits in those sizes.

Instead of buying a bunch of bits that you may never use, start with the bits for the kits you are using already and add as you go. My most used bits are certainly not those you would find in any set. "J", "U", 27/64, 10mm, 10.5mm, 12.5mm. Besides, there are so many new kits that have been added in the last couple of years, you'd probably never have a "real" complete set.:)

Last edited:

Fish30114

Hey Chris, that's probably a good approach, I just hate not having a certain bit when I go to make a kit. I'm also a 'gearhead' so I just want to have all the bits too.

Go figure :)

BSea

My approach is similar to Chris's. I bought the HF set. Then when I want/need a certain bit that's not int the kit, I almost always go to Victor Machinery because they have almost any size I need in both metric and SAE. They have longer length bits also. I've bought 2 colt bits (3/8, and 27/64 not from Victor Machinery). And I even bought a reamer (15/32) because the Jr Gent 1 cap material gets really thin. It was overkill though.

But the thing is, once you get settled in, you'll pick your favorite kits (or the kits that sell), and most of your pens will come from those kits. And yours will probably differ from mine. Mainly because there are just so many kits out there, and nobody makes them all.

That being said, here's what I think would be on most peoples list.

7 mm or J - Slimlines
25/64 & 15/32 for Jr. Gent 1 and it's variations.
3/8 (several kits use this size. I use it mostly for long clicks)
10.5mm & 12.5mm - Jr Gent II and it's variations.
10mm - Cigar
8mm or O - larger styled euro's and others.

Of course, there are more. But I think this would give you a good start. But the HF set will have almost everything you'll need, or at least something close enough. Then fill in where you need to, and when you need a replacement, get better quality.

Fish30114

Carl, and Bsea--appreciate the feedback. I did search the library and I didn't find that doc, so thanks Carl--also I hope your recovery is coming along and I am anxiously looking forward to your holder/stand!

I understand your approach Bsea, but I just want to skin the cat with only High Quality bits.

TonyL

Here are mine:
3/8
10mm
12.5 mm
27/64

Followed by:
10.5mm
8mm
12mm
11mm
S
V
25/64
7mm

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
There is only one solution. Buy a complete set of Fractional,Letter, Number, and Metric From Norseman. Better yet buy at least 5 sets of each. Pay no attention to those that preach frugality and savings, real men have drill bits they will never use, well at least not on pens. Then when that new kit with the different sized tube comes along you have it covered. Dont forget Stub sizes also.
Thats what I did.

magpens

Carl, thanks very much for putting this chart together.

Am I correct in assuming that the empty INV column provides a space for me to check off which bits I have in my INVentory ? :biggrin:

I created a sheet to work from when I was identifying all of the bits needed for every pen kit I could find. I also added alternative bits both on the high and low side for those who may have a bit that will due in a pinch :)

It's in the library here: http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/drillbit_alternatives.pdf

magpens

There is only one solution. Buy a complete set of Fractional,Letter, Number, and Metric From Norseman. Better yet buy at least 5 sets of each. Pay no attention to those that preach frugality and savings, real men have drill bits they will never use, well at least not on pens. Then when that new kit with the different sized tube comes along you have it covered. Dont forget Stub sizes also.
Thats what I did.

That's what I did, too. But I didn't buy 5 sets of each, just 1 of each ... Norseman.

Then I bought a complete set of fractional stubbies, plus letter-size stubbies that I use the most ... stubbies really useful for drilling the first inch or so of a hole in long blanks.

It's nice to have a variety of drills so you can tweak the hole sizes. I find this chart really useful and keep it on my desktop:

Drill Size Conversion Table

BSea

Am I correct in assuming that the empty INV column provides a space for me to check off which bits I have in my INVentory ? :biggrin:
No, you're supposed to put the number of bits in your inventory (1-5 . . . . . . . . . at least):wink:

Last edited:

JimB

I started off this hobby buying individual bits but quickly decided it was rather annoying to need to do that. Like others I decided to buy the full HF set. That solved all my problems and have't needed to buy any other bits for anything I make.

Buying the set also solved another problem. Sometimes the recommended bit isn't really the best bit to use. By having the full set I can chooses a bit size that works better than the recommended size.

Fish30114

Thats what I did.

Mredburn--I like your style! :)

BSea

Thats what I did.

Mredburn--I like your style! :)
So does Noresman.:biggrin:

Carl Fisher

I created a sheet to work from when I was identifying all of the bits needed for every pen kit I could find. I also added alternative bits both on the high and low side for those who may have a bit that will due in a pinch :)

It's in the library here: http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/drillbit_alternatives.pdf

Yes, it was originally a way for me to provide a count of each of the bits I had in inventory. I left it in case someone else wanted to do the same so you can see at a glance what you have and where you are deficient.

I think I also messed up on one of the tap drill bit sizes. 6.5 x .5 I think I listed as a 5.5 drill bit instead of a 6.

dogcatcher

I make a lot more than just pens, I have had the 115 set and the metric set for more years than I care to remember. As the drill bits were sharpened and gotten too short I have replaced them with bits from the local hardware store. Broken or lost are also replaced immediately.

Those that I use the most I have purchased extras and they have their own stands made using a 2x4 with holes drilled into it. The 2 stands are now mounted on the wall by the drill press and the lathe.

Top Bottom