Let's see your lathe stands

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

One more thing. You can buy an LED light at Lowes for $20 that will clamp onto whatever you want. I have it clamped to my tailstock. It has rubber(?) jaws that are not that sticky. I got some "waffle anti-rug slide stuff" that my wife had, cut a couple of pieces, and attached them to the jaws of the clamp with double-side carpet tape. The glue on the tape is inclined to weep, so I put a piece of plastic between the jaws until things settled. Anyway, on my Nova DVR, there is a great place to clamp it to the tailstock so that the headlamp is directly over whatever I am turning. And, if there is an "incident" there is nothing to shatter. Not too bad for $20, I think. Russ

I have a little les from Ikea. I'll gave to check out the lowes one too.

dbarrash

Not Really Nice

Here is my $20 HF stand.........but it works...........And yes workshop on my balcony. Dave

See attachment Workshop.jpg

dbledsoe

My wood lathe site on an old cabinet base I had in the shop. For my 10x14 metal lathe, I bought this tool chest from HF. There is a storage section under the top, but it is not usable with the lathe in place. Four drawers hold the tooling handy, and a low shelf for junk - as you can see. It came with wheels and is just the right height.
As you can see, I don't clean up often.

Attachments

• Lathestand.JPG
    Lathestand.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 532

PenPal

Dan, I choose to sit down on a draughtsman adjustable air chair at mid height lots of changes however mounting on my home made welded steel frame with 1 1/4 inch laminated top, the variable 240 - 415 volt control in the brown box left the small higher table mounted on a strong post houses the bearing press at eye height to press pens, under now clear tons of room motor on the bench rear clear between lathe rails so dust extraction through the rails of the lathe, buffing set up alongside the press. Still seated turn left to my design pen mill.

Works wonders for me no fatigue turning.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0012.jpg
    DSCF0012.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 655
  • DSCF0016-159.jpg
    DSCF0016-159.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:

Russknan

One more thing. You can buy an LED light at Lowes for $20 that will clamp onto whatever you want. I have it clamped to my tailstock. It has rubber(?) jaws that are not that sticky. I got some "waffle anti-rug slide stuff" that my wife had, cut a couple of pieces, and attached them to the jaws of the clamp with double-side carpet tape. The glue on the tape is inclined to weep, so I put a piece of plastic between the jaws until things settled. Anyway, on my Nova DVR, there is a great place to clamp it to the tailstock so that the headlamp is directly over whatever I am turning. And, if there is an "incident" there is nothing to shatter. Not too bad for $20, I think. Russ[/QUOTE]

I have a little les from Ikea. I'll gave to check out the lowes one too.[/QUOTE]

Dan, a bunch of the guys in my local woodturning club have Ikea lights. After I brought my LED from Lowes in for "show and tell", they went out and bought the Lowes version. I have been unable, lately, to find the lamp on their website, but here is a pic of it clamped to my lathe. Russ

Attachments

• LED Clamp-On.jpg
    LED Clamp-On.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 549

cal91666

After lurking and absorbing a lot of great information from the great membership here at IAP I decided to make my first post and showoff my recently finished lathe stand/workstation.

Attachments

• Lathe Workstation 1.jpeg
    Lathe Workstation 1.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 668
  • Lathe Workstation 2.jpeg
    Lathe Workstation 2.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 555

turnin4fun

I just found one of these benches on craigslist, is it high enough for your lathe? I am six foot and am wondering if I put my lathe on it if it going to be high enough without killing my back.

Thanks

turnin4fun

I own three of these now and wouldn't trade them for the world. Very, very sturdy and well built. I highly recommend them and was pointed o them by others here on the IAP. I tried to find the thread where they were previously discussed but couldn't. Here's the link:

Wood Workbench - 60" Wood Workbench w/ 4 Drawers

I just found one of these benches on craigslist, is it high enough for your lathe? I am six foot and am wondering if I put my lathe on it if it going to be high enough without killing my back.

Thanks

Tieflyer

I was going to post my new stand but since I can't measure worth crap, it's still 2 inches too long. I have a 1220vs and am having a hard time tracking down the $225 discontinued stand. Picked up a HF stand for their big lathe and chopped it. Missed it by this much! Too late, too tired to finish tonight. That sucker is strong now though. Held my 300lbs without a wiggle. Not to shabby for only $45!

I own three of these now and wouldn't trade them for the world. Very, very sturdy and well built. I highly recommend them and was pointed o them by others here on the IAP. I tried to find the thread where they were previously discussed but couldn't. Here's the link:

Wood Workbench - 60" Wood Workbench w/ 4 Drawers

Thanks

If the money is right and it's not high enough then get a few scraps of 2Xs and jack that lathe up :)

jlord

Hi.
Here is a picture of a cabinet I built to hold my Jet 1220 with extension. The top is 30" x 66" with 12 drawers. It also has a 12" disk sander, grinder with sharpening jig & a lighted magnifier.

The cabinet is wired with 4 plugs on each side & one cord to plug in for power. The face frame & drawer fronts are cut from the same piece of plywood so the grain matches when all assembled. The top is 3/4" plywood & 3/4" MDF & skinned with white laminate & edged with walnut. The pictures show it almost finished. Just have 6 more drawers to make.

Attachments

• Lathe Cabinet 005 Large Web view.jpg
    Lathe Cabinet 005 Large Web view.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 899
  • Lathe Cabinet 002 Large Web view.jpg
    Lathe Cabinet 002 Large Web view.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 577
  • Lathe Cabinet 003 Large Web view.jpg
    Lathe Cabinet 003 Large Web view.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 378
  • Shop Drawers 003 Large Web view.jpg
    Shop Drawers 003 Large Web view.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

ossaguy

Hi.
Here is a picture of a cabinet I built to hold my Jet 1220 with extension. The top is 30" x 66" with 12 drawers. It also has a 12" disk sander, grinder with sharpening jig & a lighted magnifier. The cabinet is wired with 4 plugs on each side & one cord to plug in for power.

Wow,what a nice setup!

Steve

Dan Masshardt

Hi. Here is a picture of a cabinet I built to hold my Jet 1220 with extension. The top is 30" x 66" with 12 drawers. It also has a 12" disk sander, grinder with sharpening jig & a lighted magnifier. The cabinet is wired with 4 plugs on each side & one cord to plug in for power.

Looks like you have drawer slides in the big open part too?

jlord

Hi. Here is a picture of a cabinet I built to hold my Jet 1220 with extension. The top is 30" x 66" with 12 drawers. It also has a 12" disk sander, grinder with sharpening jig & a lighted magnifier. The cabinet is wired with 4 plugs on each side & one cord to plug in for power.

Looks like you have drawer slides in the big open part too?

When finished there are 12 drawers total with slides. Works very well. It rolls on 5" casters.

OZturner

I'm getting a midi lathe and want to build a stand. I need some inspiration.

Anybody willing to post a picture of your shop made mini/midi lathe stand?

Thanks.

I used the steel cart that Sears sells as a base unit,and made some mods.It's a good unit,and the brakes on the casters are nice

Steve.

Steve, Love your portable Work Bench, The inclusion of the Dust Collector Fan, the Grinder etc., but I think you forgot the most important machine of all.
The "Coffee Maker" , or is that coming on Revision 2
Brian

Tieflyer

Ok, stand has been finished! Lathe is a Jet 1220vs, now discontinued. I really didn't want to pay $225 for a stand IF I could even get one. Picked up a $45 stand at Harbor Freight, the 46 inch stand, and cut it to the size I needed. Took me a few tries but I got it. The shorter the stand got the stronger it was. Turns out it's pretty darn solid. I did an outdoor demo last weekend and it handled everything. Pretty pleased!

image.jpg

butchf18a

My stand

Cabinet with storage and sharpening center. Tool drawer has no bottom so chips fall through to floor. Whole unit on lockable casters so I can move it for cleaning or whatever.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 447

Alchymist

Some 4X4s, 2X4, plywood,and some glue and screws. Built the stand many years ago, then when the lathe was finished, pressed it into service. Added the back shelving, and done.

Attachments

• Spenlathe2.jpg
    Spenlathe2.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 339
  • Spenlathe1.jpg
    Spenlathe1.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 338

Cindylee

Well I don't have a homemade stand. I splurged a few years ago and got the Tool Mule. Have not regretted the choice even once. It may give you some ideas on rigging something for ease of reach for tools, finishes and supplies. Everything I need is in arms reach.

Please excuse the mess. I turn 8-10 hours a day every day during the week and some weekends so it is not an operating room kind of clean.

IAP Home - Photos - image.jpgIAP Home - Photos - image.jpgIAP Home - Photos - image.jpgIAP Home - Photos - image.jpg

Last edited:

hard hat

it was supposed to be for something else but I needed a new lathe stand so I stole my own project (which also got me out of having to build doors for it). the drawer is haphazardly set on the planer, the rest of the area is filled with bowl blanks.

pfbarney

My "Shopnotes" stand

I attached the picture of my stand. I built it using plans out of Shopnotes magazine. The extension on the right hand side is removable so if you don't need it you can take it off or not even build it. It's all MDF and heavy, but you can remove the big panel on the front and stack concrete blocks in their for more weight if needed. Adjustable shelves on the sides plus a large shelf on the extension. It also has adjustable feet for leveling.

Attachments

• IMG_20131020_095604_581.jpg
    IMG_20131020_095604_581.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 369

HamTurns

My basement workshop

Here are a couple of pics of my basement workshop.

As you can see I've taken a corner out of the basement workout area between the treadmill and stationary bike.

I like the natural light over the lathe, it helps a lot in final finishing.

Happy Turning
Tom

Attachments

• IMG_6358_2.jpg
    IMG_6358_2.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_6365_2.jpg
    IMG_6365_2.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_6359_2.jpg
    IMG_6359_2.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 391

pesto126

Looks like an older Carba-tec Jim.... Loved that lathe.. lost the banjo... sigh..

Dan Masshardt

I should try this for my 1221 Levi Woodard Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

Levi - it's still working very well for me. I added some braces after as well. I turn green bowl blanks on it without a problem - even with no added weight. Just can't turn the rpm up to high until it's trued up.

Pm me if you need more info.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I finished my lathe stand today. It's made as I was planning with 2x4's and 3/4" plywood. It's stands 31" high the top is 14" deep and 39" long which should give me room on the right side of the lathe for tools, sand paper and finish. There is a shelf or bin I guess you could say 12" below the top it about 12" wide and 28' long. I put leg levelers on the so that I can keep it level no matter what the floor is like. I also put a power strip on the back of the stand. I hope to post a picture or two later on in the week when my lathe get's here.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 234

Talfalfa33

Here's one out of metro shelving, I've added to it and build a stronger base for it to sit on in order to make it mobile. But everything's there for my needs and easy to locate.

Attachments

• image-4021315343.jpg
    image-4021315343.jpg
    598.1 KB · Views: 337
Top Bottom