Let's see your lathe stands

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

Finally got to bring my lathe home, it's been in dad's barn and I got to go every couple of weeks to turn but brought it home this week and got to mostly set up tonight. Hopefully will be able to turn a couple nights a week after the kids go to bed. No insulation in ceiling of my basement just the walls but set up is on the other side of the house so hopefully no waking the babies so the bride stays happy!

The canoe full of wood is 90% from a recent craigslist find, working on organizing pen kits to go on peg board behind the table and the peg board behind lathe was leftover so made a good splash guard for the pen kits board behind it. Hopefully I'll be able to start showing a few pens off here in the coming weeks.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 285
  • photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 281
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 228
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 283
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cmiles1985

8_image.jpg

I haven't seen one of these yet. I received a high dollar analyzer mounted to a solid pallet for my customer. After installation, I cut the pallet along the long side (52") to be about 36" wide. I bought about $50 worth of heavy duty (5/8") hardware and 4x4's. The table weighs about 100 lbs. it doesn't move a bit, and has a lot more room since I swapped the old PSI lathe for an HF mini lathe.

walshjp17

Mine is store bought (lack of imaginative & flatwork skills) from Lowe's.

(Shown in another thread.)

Attachments

• 1221VS  & workbench.jpg
    1221VS & workbench.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 318

sschering

I use the stand by grandfather made when he built the lathe..

Sorry about the mess. I've been a little busy this week.

Attachments

• IMGP6211.jpg
    IMGP6211.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 345

stevenpetry

Just built this one. Upright corners are 2x2 square tubing, with the rest of the main bench in 2x2 angle iron. The drawer supports and top deck are framed out in 5/8 square tubing. Drawers are about 5" x 17" x 17" and reside on full extension slides. Wood is a mixture of pine, MDF, and leftover piece of walnut ply. Still have to skin the sides and back and add drawer pulls, but it's pretty much done. Overall measurements are 57W, 36H, 26D. And yes, it's ridiculously heavy!

TonyL

HF

I used the one that came with my super cheap HF lathe. Covered the top with a scrap piece of subfloor. drilled holes to match my mini-jet, and had over half of the thing left for other stuff (mostly collecting shavings, dust and scraps of sandpaper....) Sadly, no photos at the moment...

My friend just bought a second one; they changed the quality of the wood and construction.

TonyL

Now that is a lather stand...

Just built this one. Upright corners are 2x2 square tubing, with the rest of the main bench in 2x2 angle iron. The drawer supports and top deck are framed out in 5/8 square tubing. Drawers are about 5" x 17" x 17" and reside on full extension slides. Wood is a mixture of pine, MDF, and leftover piece of walnut ply. Still have to skin the sides and back and add drawer pulls, but it's pretty much done. Overall measurements are 57W, 36H, 26D. And yes, it's ridiculously heavy!

Wow!

shastastan

Here's one I made. A friend gave me a 1 1/4" piece of mdf for the top. The sides, doors and back are 1/2" mdf. The frame is from construction grade doug fir 2/4"s. It's a very heavy table. It was no picnic bolting the 1221 onto it either.

1221_cabinet w.jpg

TonyL

Very nice! My friend built a similar for me. This is a very nice design. Thank you for sharing!

Dan Masshardt

Here's one I made. A friend gave me a 1 1/4" piece of mdf for the top. The sides, doors and back are 1/2" mdf. The frame is from construction grade doug fir 2/4"s. It's a very heavy table. It was no picnic bolting the 1221 onto it either.

Nice.

Btw, you'll find that tool holder useless if you ever change the belt.

shastastan

Nice.

Btw, you'll find that tool holder useless if you ever change the belt.

Have you changed the belt on yours, Dan? I messed up the spindle and faceplate because I didn't realize it has set screws. I had to replace the spindle. That was no easy job for me. Jet changed the spindle design so the instructions in the manual didn't help much either. Today was the 1st day I used this lathe. I really like it a lot better than the 1014vs.

shastastan

Yes. You have to change the belt if you are going to rough out bowls.

For pens it's usually on high all the time.

Oops! Sorry Dan. I was thinking belt replacement rather than changing on the pulleys. I agree that the tool holder is in the way. I'm going to move it to the tail stock end. I don't take the tail stock off that often. I may have to add a piece of wood below the switch though since I bumped it off with my hip yesterday.

My apologies to the OP for going off topic here.

Top Bottom