Lathe Set Up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RogerGarrett

Not sure I ever posted a pic of the completed setup. What I really wanted to show off was the wall hanging tool holder. Saw a picture of it online and copied it with scrap pine I had from various jobs. Took about 30 minutes to cut, screw, and glue.

BTW - the pic is old now - there is so much sawdust around the lathe and on stuff now - sheesh! So - no one give me a bad time about no dust in the shop!

R

Attachments

• Lathe Set Up and tool holder.jpg
    Lathe Set Up and tool holder.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_4952.jpg
    IMG_4952.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 354
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

What ???? . No dust in your shop ? . What do you use it for ???? :biggrin::biggrin:

LoneOak

I'm wondering how you guys deal with the dust issue when you have the lathe set up with a wall in front of it. I have my lathe in basically the middle of my shop and dust gets all over everything especially the stuff behind it on the wall 4 feet away.

My shop is a very old building by the way and is dusty and dirty all on its own. It was built somewhere around 1940 and has been modified a couple times. The biggest problem is I only have one 110volt 20 amp circuit and its tough to run more than one tool at a time along with some lights. I going to upgrade to LEDs in the near future. I would update the power but the house built in 1935 only has an 80 amp breaker and the local power company won't let me upgrade unless I bring it all up to code and I don't have a $10,000 bill to do that with at this time. I also know there are some other options but the bank account just won't let me at this time. It is time to stop gripping and just get along with what I've got and be happy!!!

Charlie_W

I'm wondering how you guys deal with the dust issue when you have the lathe set up with a wall in front of it. I have my lathe in basically the middle of my shop and dust gets all over everything especially the stuff behind it on the wall 4 feet away.

My shop is a very old building by the way and is dusty and dirty all on its own. It was built somewhere around 1940 and has been modified a couple times. The biggest problem is I only have one 110volt 20 amp circuit and its tough to run more than one tool at a time along with some lights. I going to upgrade to LEDs in the near future. I would update the power but the house built in 1935 only has an 80 amp breaker and the local power company won't let me upgrade unless I bring it all up to code and I don't have a $10,000 bill to do that with at this time. I also know there are some other options but the bank account just won't let me at this time. It is time to stop gripping and just get along with what I've got and be happy!!!

Some folks use hanging shower curtains and just slide them away when not in use. The shavings hit the curtain and fall on the floor where it is easier to shovel up.
Another item is roller shades which you mount around the lathe similar to the shower curtains. Just pull them down when making shavings. If they overlap a little, it will help contain the chips.

RogerGarrett

Just make us jealous. A powermatic and a jet side by side. How did you convince your wife of that?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

I sold my Jet 1442 Variable Speed mid-sized lathe to help offset the cost of the Powermatic.

Here's a youtube video of one that was like mine (just found the video online to share): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMFF-trefp0

I sold it because it was starting to shut off whenever it torqued out. I disclosed this to the buyer, but he knew something I didn't - that it was a simple relay that needed to be replaced - an $8 part. Still - I wanted a more powerful lathe. I had kept my Jet mini lathe VS - now 19 years old but runs great - like new!

My wife felt I should buy top of the line - so I did. I thank her every day.

RogerGarrett

Speaking of dust. I don't see any collection system. What do you use at the powermatic?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

I don't have a dust control setup with the powermatic - I just let the chips fly and I sweep 'em up. But I do have a dust control on the ceiling (Jet) and a large system for the planners and table saw. Also have a cheapo portable hooked up to the jointer. Here's a couple of pics. I use a 2 hp Jet that connects to my table saw with a stop gate and to both planers (I have a 13 inch sitting on top of the 15 inch Grizzly) - each with their own stop gate. There is a garbage can between all hoses that the big stuff drops into, and the dust goes into the larger Jet bag.

Attachments

• IMG_4954.jpg
    IMG_4954.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 174
  • Img_4955.jpg
    Img_4955.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 162

Marc

With the way those two lathes are set up, you can turn pens with one hand and bowls with the other.

Nice shop, like the Powermatic lathe. And the tool holder looks like a winner!

Top Bottom