Lathe motor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Neededwill

So yesterday my lathe motor decided it didn't like working anymore. It has given me almost 3 years of service so I can't complain. When I decided to begin this hobby I didn't want to spend much so I bought a HF 8x12. I had made a mod or two on over the couple years. So I went and picked up another yesterday since it was a work horse originally.

Now my quest is to find a replacement motor for the old one, any suggestions where I should look?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

H2O

Is it direct drive or belt driven?
If it's belt driven, you should be able to get a comparable motor, i.e. same hp, rpm, etc. and make it work.

magpens

Phone Chris at LittleMachineShop. He is very knowledgeable and might know where to get a replacement motor. I doubt his store actually carries it though.

H2O

Looking at HF website, the lathe is only $109.99, then use the 20% coupon, it is probably less expensive purchasing a new lathe rather than just a motor.
Unless you can find something you can get a motor off of or maybe something used. I had an old salamander heater that quit working, but the motor still ran. I took the motor off and used it for something else. Maybe you can find something similar?

Magicbob

an opportunity to upgrade.
If it were me, I'd look for a 3/4-1 HP 240Volt 3 phase motor and add a VFD to control it.
You can get a VFD that takes 120VAC in and puts 240 3 Pz out this will give you adjustable speed.

VotTak

Last edited:

Neededwill

So harbor freight emailed me back, $40 for a new motor. Now I can have a lathe for turning and one for drilling and sharpening. Win win for me, lol

Top Bottom