Lathe Chuck Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KBs Pensnmore

I would say yes, as the tommy bars (levers) require 2 hands whereas the key type gives you a free hand to hold onto your job. Plus more larger jaw sizes are available for the key type should you decide to do bowls, platters etc. later on. My thoughts anyway:biggrin:.
Kryn

Last edited:

monophoto

The advantage of keyed chucks versus tommy bar chucks is convenience.

Is the convenience worth the premium price? That's subjective, and each purchaser has to answer that question for himself.

donpratt

I have one of each and definitely prefer the keyed chuck. Keep in mind though that if you can lock your headstock spindle, you can probably use just one tommy bar to operate the chuck. I'm not sure that they all work that way, but I know mine does.

bigevilgrape

THis is a hobby that is suposed to be fun for me. I know that i tended to get annoyed with little things after a while and the tommy bars sounded like that kind of thing, so I got the keyed chuck.

PaulDoug

I have both kinds. I probably use the tommy bar one the most, mainly because the chuck is smaller than the one with the key and the smaller chuck just seems more convenient for what I have been turning. I don't mind the tommy bars but I can understand those that do. I think it also is impacted by how often you use that kind of chuck. If I used one more often, I would probably prefer the keyed one.

Justturnin

I only have one and it has the bars. I don't mind them most of the time but it can be a pain at times when the piece is larger. My next chuck will be w/ the key.

juteck

I have both kinds (both OneWay), and leave my smaller jaws on the tommy bar style, and larger jaws on the keyed chuck.

I don't have a complaint with the tommy bars, and have not had a problem with operating them - it was the first chuck I had bought, and got used to using them. The OneWay Talon was not an available option when I bought that chuck.

The Stronghold keyed chuck was my second chuck purchase, and I use it for bowls, platters, etc.

If I were starting over today, and I was looking for a smaller size chuck and I had the budget, I would definitely think more about the Talon keyed chuck over the tommy bar chuck. The key is more convenient without a doubt, but the tommy bars are manageable.

bradh

If you get the spacing correct Tommy bars can be tightened with one hand while the other hand is free to align the part.
This is a personal preference thing, I have both types of chucks and like both. The Tommy bar versions usually cost less too.

Attachments

• tommy-bars.jpg
    tommy-bars.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Wildman

Ron, surprised no one asked what kind of lathe do you have? Tommy bar chucks make sense for most mini and short bed lathes because thinner and lighter than single key chucks. While weight not a problem on short bed lathe like VL 200 or 300 distances between centers is. Tommy bar chucks also make sense on large lathes as well if buy a quality chuck (Nova, Oneway, Vicmarc). Tommy bars on less expensive chucks have tendency to bend while tightening.

No difference in holding power or jaw selection with quality chucks. I have owned both tommy bar and single key chucks both can take two hands to operate whether mounting wood in chuck on or off lathe. Even with two single key chucks often, use tailstock support to install wood in chuck on the lathe.

Bought an economy tommy bar chuck for use on my Jet 1014 mini because did not like using my Talon. That chuck bent tommy bars went with lathe when sold it.

PaulDoug

Bought an economy tommy bar chuck for use on my Jet 1014 mini because did not like using my Talon. That chuck bent tommy bars went with lathe when sold it.

I really have to agree here. I bought a "ecomomy" version of a chuck once. Not worth it at all. I wasn't strong enough to bend the bars, but the chuck just had no holding power. Save yourself frustration and invest in a good chuck, which ever you decide on.

raar25

Just one more thought, if you loose the key it is very hard to work around it, but the bars can easily be replaced. I have two chucks from PSI with bars and my only complaint is remembering which is tightening and loosening especially when doing a rebate this can really be bad. However since the extra $50 almost gets me to a second chuck, having the second chuck would far our weigh the inconvenience.

Top Bottom