Lathe choice opinions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have read a ton on here, and researched a lot on various lathes, as I want to add a second one to my shop so my wife and I don't have to fight over the lathe.
I have pretty much narrowed my choices down to two lathes, both having a similar price and having features I want for the most part. I like different things about each machine. Id like any opinions on why or why not you would choose one over the other, as well as any input from users of either of these machines, especially the shopfox one, as I haven't heard of anybody with this particular lathe. So, please help me out.
Heres the shopfox w1836 https://www.woodstockint.com/products/w1836

and the nova cometII NOVA COMET II MIDI LATHE | Nova

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I have read a ton on here, and researched a lot on various lathes, as I want to add a second one to my shop so my wife and I don't have to fight over the lathe.
I have pretty much narrowed my choices down to two lathes, both having a similar price and having features I want for the most part. I like different things about each machine. Id like any opinions on why or why not you would choose one over the other, as well as any input from users of either of these machines, especially the shopfox one, as I haven't heard of anybody with this particular lathe. So, please help me out.

I am one to never like to recommend a tool to anyone. If something goes wrong people look to pass on blame. I will say this. Look at the reviews on any tool you buy. Amazon is a good place to start. Of the 2 lathes you posted the Nova is a higher rated one with less problems and if you look it has more features that are neat. I am a Jet lathe guy but above the price range you are looking at.

Whatever lathe you decide on make sure you put it through its paces as soon as you get it set up. Good luck.

robutacion

G'day,

I don't have any experience with either of those two models but looking at the shopfox isn't it the same as the Jet's...? which model I don't know but why making them to look the same if not made in the same place...?

I have seen lots of people reviewing both lathes, in our days, if you go to YouTube, you will have more chances to see and listen to people that bought them and provided their thoughts while new and after some use.

That doesn't mean that you won't find some IAP members that have or know those machines better than me and be able to give you some good opinions.

Good luck,

Cheers
George

TonyL

Is the Jet 1015VS (but no reverse, too small). That's one of my back-ups. I would recommend it.

TonyL

I think the looks and finish of Comet II are sleeker than the Je. As I was admiring the Comet and reading the specs I noticed the Comet's motor and controller are only covered by warranty for 1 year; Jet's entire unit is 5 years. However, the Comet II is 3/4 HP and the Jet 1015 is 1/2 HP. Some much for an apples to apples comparison.

Bob in SF

Dale - I'm very fond of my Nova Comet II - and did get the lathe bed extension accessory, which extends the distance between centers out to 42".

I also use the Versaturn Grinding Wheel Attachment (which requires a Versaturn Coupler) to sharpen my non-carbide turning tools.

The G3 and other Nova chucks work very well.

Good luck - Bob

tonylumps

I do not have any turn time on either one also.But I do a lot of research before I buy any tool.Got burnt to many times.I bought my first lathe about 7 months ago Rikon 70-100 Turned about 150 pens Plus Xmas ornaments and few goblets and small bowls.Never once had a problem.The only thing is i should have bought the Rikon VS.A little more convenient.But the belt location on this lathe is very accessible.Well Rikon has a 15% sale until 3/20 .I went out for a test ride on the 70-220 VSR.That is one nice lathe So for 550.00 I had to make the move.I will pick it up next week.So the moral is Find a place like Woodcraft and try them out.I know the woodcraft in Delaware was very helpful. I am sure they all are. So if funds are a little tight. Buy the best you can the first time Believe me it will be cheaper.

2 Saw

I have had the Nova II for just over 2 years, turned 200+ pens with no problems. I like the VS and rev. very helpful and enjoy using this lathe very much.

Kerry

Thanks so far for the replies. I have considered the jet1015vs as well, but it is more $'s for less hp's , and it doesn't have the accessory availability of the Nova Comet. The extra swing and the available accessories is one thing I really like with the Nova. And on the Shopfox the extra 2 inches swing over the Jet, the digital readout, and the mounted light are all plusses . Warranty is a bit different on them, but I do believe both the nova and shopfox are china machines. The Jets, I think (and could be wrong) are from Taiwan, which would favor the jet over the other two,but I am mainly considering the Shopfox ond the Nova, which I am leaning towards at this point.

Just doing a bit more searching online, it seems the ShopFox w1836 is a clone of the 12 inch variable speed Turncrafter lathe sold by PSI. The difference being the Turncrafter has a 1 hp motor vs. the 3/4 hp on the Shopfox............

Curly

What you will find is that a number of lathes that look similar will all have come from the same factory. They just get different paint, possibly better bearings, held to better dimensional tolerances, different knobs or handles, different switches or their placement, longer warranties etcetera. You pay accordingly.

When you ask which is a better lathe the answers will reflect the perspective of the person answering about the machine brand they have, had or think they like. Rarely will it be from someone that have owned two or more of the lathes, bandsaws, or another other shop machine you can think of that can give a good perspective on them. You also have to keep in mind that the people that have one machine may not be inclined to reply that day seemingly making the other brand better.

None of what I've just said should be taken to mean you're question is a bad one. Just pointing out there is lots to consider.

tonylumps

I do not have any turn time on either one also.But I do a lot of research before I buy any tool.Got burnt to many times.I bought my first lathe about 7 months ago Rikon 70-100 Turned about 150 pens Plus Xmas ornaments and few goblets and small bowls.Never once had a problem.The only thing is i should have bought the Rikon VS.A little more convenient.But the belt location on this lathe is very accessible.Well Rikon has a 15% sale until 3/20 .I went out for a test ride on the 70-220 VSR.That is one nice lathe So for 550.00 I had to make the move.I will pick it up next week.So the moral is Find a place like Woodcraft and try them out.I know the woodcraft in Delaware was very helpful. I am sure they all are. So if funds are a little tight. Buy the best you can the first time Believe me it will be cheaper.

I got the 70 220 VSR set up Like it a lot. 4 things I like over the 70-100 are VS,1 HP motor, Reversible,and 3 1/2" ram on the quill.And with a little modification I was able to use the bed extension from my 70-100.just raised the legs on the extension 3/4" and it bolted right up

Attachments

• DSC00277.JPG
    DSC00277.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC00278.JPG
    DSC00278.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC00276.JPG
    DSC00276.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 129
Ok.. After all my research, and looking both online and in stores, today I decided on my lathe. I chose the exact one that Tonylumps just set up. I went today to check out machines. I first looked at the Comet II and it just seemed for the money there really wasn't much there. I did not like the belt cover, as it looks like a big piece of plastic I would end up breaking. And, about that cover... why did they use that long screw in knob to close and open it??? Theres a million other ways they could have made that better. I did though like that you could easily get at the belts once the cover was opened. Everything else just didn't look very beefy. The Rockler in store price on the comet was $549 (even though on Rockler online I could get it for $479.) It was displayed next to the Jet 1015 (non VS), and the tailstock on that littler Jet had probably half again more iron to it. I then looked over the jet 1221. I liked that machine a lot, but at $800 it is out of my budget at this time. I headed down the road to Woodcraft. I looked over the vs model of the jet 1015, and the Rikon 70-220vsr. It was evident that this Rikon is not much of a comparison to the Nova Comet II, and quite honestly it made the Comet II look like a toy in comparison. I spoke with Chris, the store owner for quite a while about lathes, quality, warrantys, chucks, etc. I told him I really liked the Rikon, and I wanted it. With their sale price on it at $552 and change, I left feeling like I have got one hell of a nice machine. Yes, its bigger than I was looking to buy, but its got all the features I was looking for and within my budget.
Now... I need to make some room in the basement shop so I can set it up!!! Thanks everybody ( especially Tonylumps for suggesting I look at this lathe)for your help in my quest. If anyones got time, c'mon over and help me make room for it!!!

Top Bottom