Lathe Chisel /Grind/ Purpose Chart? - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2018, 07:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Thanks for the information fellows. This has been very helpful to me. Most of this, besides the sharpening, is - bit the bullet and just get started. Find out what works for me. That is the basically way that I learned to apply CA finish. Get started, practice and more practice.

Wildman, I have been thinking about an angle gauge. Thanks for that suggestion.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Hank:

Not to much more to add to topic.

I for one when first getting into turning attended a class in Utah CSUSA where Richard Raffan was the instructor, so I was able to learn from the start from the master of scrapers and bowl gouges.

Then there is another turner named David Ellsworth who is the master on the fingernail gouge, who has good material in both DVD and books.

Alan Lacer is by far the master of the Skew, he also has DVD and books of instructions. Good You Tube stuff.

So the bottom line of all this is that there are lots of information out there and you just have to gather it up and practice. Don't for get what is on You tube.

Good luck mastering the tools of out trade.

Charlie
Dieseldoc is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Think angle finders for measuring what bevel angle came with the tool very helpful information. Lets you look before you leap into wasting steel! If the factory bevel works try to maintain it. Found that's true for spindle gouges, parting tools, bedan, and skews. Bowl gouge and scrapers bevel angles more about bowl design.

Doc Green wrote very short article on the subject, guess he read same Wood magazine tip on makng an angle finder using two protractors!

Bevel Gauge
Old 06-13-2018, 04:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Think angle finders for measuring what bevel angle came with the tool very helpful information. Lets you look before you leap into wasting steel! If the factory bevel works try to maintain it. Found that's true for spindle gouges, parting tools, bedan, and skews. Bowl gouge and scrapers bevel angles more about bowl design.

Doc Green wrote very short article on the subject, guess he read same Wood magazine tip on makng an angle finder using two protractors!

Bevel Gauge
I agree about getting an angle finder. I got mine from Home Depot for $10 and it works great for this purpose.

I disagree about manufacturer angles. Different manufactures produce the tools with different angles and just because it 'works' doesnít mean itís a good angle and getting you the best cut. It is a good idea to know what it is as a starting reference but you should still try different bevels. My only tools that I think I left at about the manufacturer angle are my bedan and parting tool. Everything else I changed, even my roughing gouge.

As an example, I had a student just this morning. One tool we covered was the skew. He was happy with how he was doing with it so I asked him to show me. He did a planing cut to show me what he could do. I then gave him my skew that had a much different bevel and I changed the height of the tool rest. He couldnít believe the difference and immediately wanted to reshape his skew.

Some experimenting, even if we think everything is OK, is worth the effort.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Thanks Charlie, Bill and Jim.

I am traveling this week but ordered a couple of angle finder to be home when I get there this week end.

I used to have the Alan Lancer's DVD when I lived in Japan. I watched it a couple of times, tried, but still could not get the handle on using the skew on a little short pen blank. Then a friend from the Philippines came for a visit. He came, He saw, he took it home with him - in exchange for a large hunk of amboyna burl he brought in his suitcase.

Jim, Thanks for that information on the angles. Very helpful.

Thanks fellows for the information.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Last edited by leehljp; 06-13-2018 at 11:28 PM.
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 4

JimB when say look before you leap before changing bevel angles to keep folks from wasting a lot of steel. New turners been advised to take factory straight grind bowl & spindle gouges to either finger nail or side grind (aka Ellsworth, Irish, and other names) to keep from catching regardless of the bevel angle from the factory. As long as get a smooth bevel without a lot facets and able get consistency everytime you re-sharpen life is good.

Once you change geometry of a gouge putting on a figernail or side grind on it what is your new bevel angle? Does it work for you or not? Good time for that angle finder!

Only bought two gouges didn't need to change from square grind to either fingernail ot side grind. One a 9/16” V-grove gouge with Ellsworth grind already on it from Craftsupply don't see that gouge listed anymore. Doug Tompson 5/8” bowl gouge that came with fingernail grind and bevel 55 degrees. Doug says he puts a 60 degree bevel on his gouges, but gouge works well for what I do so haven't changed it.

Best article ever read on bowl gouge bevel angles was in 2007 summer issue of Woodturning Design by Dale Nish explaining why need different bevel angles for different style bowls. At one time could find that article on line. If look at pages 12 & 13 will see same angles & illustrations Dale Nish used for article from Allan Batty's Woodturning notes .

If interested see pages 12 & 13:

http://s12166.pcdn.co/wp-content/upl...ning_Notes.pdf
Old 06-15-2018, 07:18 AM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 11

Bill - that's a great article with lots of useful information. It's good reading for the new and the experienced Turner. Thanks for sharing.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads