Lathe Advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rfreeouf

I am new to the forums and I am interested in turning pens. I basically have no turning tools at all so I am quite a noob when it comes to this stuff.

I have been looking for a midi lathe. I primarily want to turn small projects such as pens.

After hours of research I am still overwhelmed on making a decission. I think I have my choice narrowed down to the Jet Midi Lathe. I am just confused on the Regular version and the variable speed model. I understand with the regular version you will need to move the belt to adjust the speed. With th variable speed model still have to move the belt for the different speed range and then you can adjust the speed at that range.

What advantage does the variable speed model have over the regular version if you still have to adjust the belt for different speed ranges.

Is that speed feature worth it for a $100 extra dollars.

Should I be looking at a different lathe to start out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I have the JET MINI.
I find it no big deal to change the belts.
For turning pens you won't need to do it that often.
BUT
If I had it to do over again and price were not a consideration I would opt for the variable speed.
I would suggest you look at the JET 1014 and weigh the cost of the variable speed option on that model.
Should you choose to go to bigger objects you'll know the benifit of the variable and whether it is worth it.
Either way I love the Jet mini(1014)

its_virgil

I have both the Jet Mini with VS and one without VS. I purchased the VS model and obtained the non VS model as a door prize. I love my Jet mini and will spend the money to purchase the next one with VS...it is well worth the extra $$$. Shop around...often the bed extension is offered free with the purchase of the lathe. I think I've seen that offer just recently but do not remember where. If I find it soon again I'll post the info.

BTW, the speed in each of the ranges of the VS model is quite adequate...700 rpm range in slow, 1500 rpm range in med, and 2200 rpm range in high.
Do a good turn daiy!
don

Randy_

The VS ranges are:
500-1200
1100-2600 and
1700-3900.

I have the 6 speed model and turn pens at 2630 and drill and sand at 500. So even if I had a VS model, I would have to change ranges. After a little practice, you can can change the speed manually in about 15-20 seconds and since you don't do it a lot, I don't find it to be a problem. I put the extra hundred dollars toward a small band saw.

On the other hand, if you are going to do some bowls, platters and bigger projects, the VS may very well be worth the money. I've not heard much about reliability problems; but the VS mechanism is potentially one more part to break down and will presumably be expensive to repair.

If you are on a tight budget, the 6 speed model should serve you just fine. If you have a money tree in the back yard and want a little more flexibility and convenience, get the VS.

Malkusr

I have the JET MINI. I love it. Changing the belts has become second nature. I dont mind it at all. Plus like Randy said, the VS has more parts that can break. If your just interested in pens Id look at the Jet mini pen lathe. It is on sale at amazon for only $80 dollars! It only turns stock up to 2 inches. I dont know how reliable they are but I am thinking about getting one because its small and cheap. Good luck!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Malkusr
<br />I have the JET MINI. I love it. Changing the belts has become second nature. I dont mind it at all. Plus like Randy said, the VS has more parts that can break. If your just interested in pens Id look at the Jet mini pen lathe. It is on sale at amazon for only $80 dollars! It only turns stock up to 2 inches. I dont know how reliable they are but I am thinking about getting one because its small and cheap. Good luck!

I have owned this POS and it was recently mentioned in another thread.
Stay away from it.
The reason they are offered so inexpensively, no, in this case CHEAP is a good description of both the price and the "lathe" is because Jet isn't making them anymore.

ryannmphs

I have the Delta Midi, and I would say stay away from Delta (any and all Delta, Porter Cable, DeWalt and B&D - all the same company now) I have had to order parts for my TS, planer and lathe, and the parts take for ever to get here, customer service is non-exsistant, and parts are breaking just way too soon with my limited use.

This is just my opinion, others may have different opinions. But after Delta was bought by the B&D group service turned to crap. It used to be that I could call Delta and get parts shipped from the warehouse in Jackson, TN (I'm in Memphis) now ALL parts come from Maryland (I think) and that warehouse always seems to be plagued by stock shortages and delays. And good luck getting to talk to a live person that can actually do something for you.

Ryan

Randy_

I agree totally that a Jet pen lathe would not be a good choice. I picked up one at a garage sale for a bargain price and used it for only a month or two before moving up to a JET Mini. The characterization of the lathe as a POS is not really a fair characterization. Actually, it is pretty well built. The problem is that it is quite small.....tiny probably is a better word.....and so it has an extremely limited capability. Fact is that for an experienced turner who needs some of its special traits.... namely portability....it is not a bad machine. Especially for some of the discounted prices that are currently available. If you wanted to carry a complete pen crafting kit in a small briefcase, you could do it with a JET Pen lathe!!!

Don't remember if I mentioned the Wilton lathe in my previous post. Distributed by JET and slightly smaller than the JET Mini....0.4 HP motor and 12" between centers. I think the swing is slightly smaller but don't remember exactly what it is. There have been a number of complimentary posts about it in the past and you can get one off Amazon.com for less than a hundred bucks. It is a VS unit but I don't know the particulars of the speed adjustments or ranges??

mick

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br /> Shop around...often the bed extension is offered free with the purchase of the lathe. I think I've seen that offer just recently but do not remember where. If I find it soon again I'll post the info.
Don, That was at Woodcraft until the end of Oct., if my memory serves me right.

And yes, I'd go with the VS also

Sonny

Originally posted by rfreeouf
<br />I am new to the forums and I am interested in turning pens. I basically have no turning tools at all so I am quite a noob when it comes to this stuff.

I have been looking for a midi lathe. I primarily want to turn small projects such as pens.

After hours of research I am still overwhelmed on making a decission. I think I have my choice narrowed down to the Jet Midi Lathe. I am just confused on the Regular version and the variable speed model. I understand with the regular version you will need to move the belt to adjust the speed. With th variable speed model still have to move the belt for the different speed range and then you can adjust the speed at that range.

What advantage does the variable speed model have over the regular version if you still have to adjust the belt for different speed ranges.

Is that speed feature worth it for a $100 extra dollars.

Should I be looking at a different lathe to start out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have the Wilton Lathe and I've been mostly happy with it. I'm sure that the Jet and others may be better lathes but for the $89 at Menard's, I can't complain. There hasn't been anything I haven't been able to do yet - other than turning things that are too big for its size of course.

old folks

Richard, I bougt a Jet mini (1014) from PSI and along with the lathe I also bought the starter set 1 and 2. This was enough to get me started. You will also need to buy a band saw asap, there are many to choose from buy personally I like my 14 inch Delta. You will also need to buy a good four jaw chuck, if possible get a tylon, it seems as though most turners here really likes them. I hope I have been able to help you some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom