Which lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gdog

I have been a good boy this year so Santa is going to bring me a lathe. I've been so good, she is going to let me pick it out. (No, not good enough for a Oneway.) It will be either the Jet VS mini or Grizzly's G0584. I would like the option of doing larger work, but I don't want to sacrifice quality for capacity. This will be my first lathe. I love the work I see on this board and could certainly enjoy myself for a long time making pens, tops, ornaments and other small items. What say ye?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Thumbs

Gordon, every time I go into the Grizzly store up here. I check out that G0584 hoping they will screw up and put a lower price tag on it. No such luck![:(] I've been looking it over pretty closely and I'm gonna have one sooner or later! Of course, don't take my word for it; any number of people here will tell you I know nothing about tools or anything else! FWIW!

gdog

It does look like a great deal for the money. I sent an e-mail to them because the web site and catalog have some conflicting information. The tech rep told me it is for sure a 3/4 HP motor and 1 x 12 TPI spindle. Does the speed range look okay for pen turning?

Thumbs

Urrk![:0] You're right! The catalog and web page are different! I think I'd believe the sales rep and web site over the catalog. I have seen some strange changes in their catalog on certain items this last year. Now I have another reason to stop by again. If I get a chance in the next couple days, I'll check it out for you. OK? [:)]

Randy_

I have a JET mini 6 speed and like it a lot; but have no intention of doing anything other than pens and other small items. Never seen a Grizzly; but plenty of folks have posted that they are pretty good machines for the money. For the small difference in price, it seems like you have a lot more capability with the Grizzly. If you really want to do some larger projects, seems like a no-brainer to me??

Rifleman1776

It looks like Grizzly is bringing out a whole series of '58' models at lower prices as their regular line increases in cost. I have the G1067Z, the price of that has gone up about $100.00 since I bought mine. The G058 looks similar but lighter. Do compare features carefully before investing. If you intend to do only small projects, the mini is your choice. You can do small on a big lathe but not visa versa. On the Grizzly the 1"X12TPI spindle can be a real PIA and additional expense. Most after-market chucks will not fit on it. Adapters must be made or purchased at about $40.00 each. I have said it before, on the same budget, I would buy my Grizzly again. With more money to spend, it would be one of the fancier high-end lathes.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />It looks like Grizzly is bringing out a whole series of '58' models at lower prices as their regular line increases in cost. I have the G1067Z, the price of that has gone up about $100.00 since I bought mine. The G058 looks similar but lighter. Do compare features carefully before investing. If you intend to do only small projects, the mini is your choice. You can do small on a big lathe but not visa versa. On the Grizzly the 1"X12TPI spindle can be a real PIA and additional expense. Most after-market chucks will not fit on it. Adapters must be made or purchased at about $40.00 each. I have said it before, on the same budget, I would buy my Grizzly again. With more money to spend, it would be one of the fancier high-end lathes.

I took a better look at the specs for the G0584 and my G1067. It looks like the 584 is a real dandy compared to mine. It is much heavier with cast iron legs and base. More powerful, more speeds, etc. The downside of that strange spindle size is not insurmountable. One adapter can often be used for many chucks. I would seriously consider it.

gdog

I have noticed that there is not a lot of companies making 1 x 12 TPI stuff. The G0584 is $150.00 less than the G1067Z and the G0584 has a bigger motor and greater weight. Have to wonder what was sacrificed to save that $150.00.

Thumbs

gdog, I looked at that lathe at Grizzly this afternoon. It has a 3/4HP motor and a 1 x 12 TPI spindle. It is one impressive machine! If you get one make sure you put it where you want it the first time. It says 300# shipping weight! You won't move it around easily!

As far as the 1x12 drive spindle, faceplates and chucks are available for it at good prices too! A 6" faceplate is included. Other than those items, I see little concern for whatever the spindle thread is. It has a #2 Morse Taper headstock and tailstock. I'm still hoping for a big heavy duty Christmas present, too![:)]

<b>EDIT:</b>
I just checked OneWay and they have the 1x12 adaptors for their chucks and Packard Woodworks has the 1x12 adaptors for the Vicmarc chucks. So if you don't want to buy Grizzly parts and pieces, just the lathe, you can certainly find other suppliers for those specialty items you might want that will fit this lathe.

Thumbs

BTW, the Grizzly Xmas catalog just came out and an eight pc set of lathe chisels is included at the $350 price. I noticed that in last years catalog the prices of the G0584 and G1067Z were just the reverse of what they are now. Every time I talk to the sales staff they say this price is definitely good till year end. That may or may not mean anything. These two machines set side by side on the show room floor here and you just have to wonder why anybody wood pay so much more for so much less! Something seems a bit wacky but this machine certainly seems like a good buy to me. Hope this helps. FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom