laser marking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TBCbushings

I did this today to see how it looks. I am not liking the font but I think it looks kinda cool.

ForumRunner_20150402_175120.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

That is very cool ... thanks for posting ! Could that laser be used for pen engraving ? Wondering which laser you have and what the purchase cost is ? Thanks

TBCbushings

I tried to do a pen and didn't work out well. It is made to mark metal. I need to play with some settings to see how I can do acrylic.

Dalepenkala

I tried to do a pen and didn't work out well. It is made to mark metal. I need to play with some settings to see how I can do acrylic.

I'm not an expert on laser engraving but from what I've learned is a CO2 is what you would want for marking on wood, acrylic and other non metallic parts.

I'm guessing Brian is using a fiber laser which is used for marking mostly metallic parts.

Again I'm know expert but that's my understanding based on my reaserch.

TBCbushings

I'm not an expert on laser engraving but from what I've learned is a CO2 is what you would want for marking on wood, acrylic and other non metallic parts.

I'm guessing Brian is using a fiber laser which is used for marking mostly metallic parts.

Again I'm know expert but that's my understanding based on my reaserch.

That's right..a fiber laser...I also run a 2500 watt co2 laser for cutting aluminum up to .250 and steel up to .750 thick.

Last edited:

TonyL

Very well done. Was this accomplished with the inexpensive laser? And how long did it take? Again...excellent work!

TonyL

Thank you. So what you are saying is, "for another $69,887 and I too can engrave my bushings." Teasing of course. We get what we pay for and that is an outstanding piece of equipment. Thanks for the reply and sharing your work!

Last edited:

Rich L

Fiber lasers in this realm typically operate producing energy with around 1. µm wavelength although variants are possible. CO2 lasers are roughly 10 times that wavelength (longer) and that's why they don't work too well on metals. Anything producing concentrated energy at that 1µm wavelength will work well on metals to include the common marking lasers such as NdYAG and NdYVO4. I've used a 1 watt and 10 watt of each and they do the trick but, of course, power is everything. Delicate work on nibs and such can be done easily with a 1 watt system and some deeper marking can be accomplished as well but you don't want to be there all day - so more power helps. A 1 watt US made system can run upwards of $15K for a turn key system. Double it for 10 watts. Fiber lasers can be more bucks and they are very popular for higher powered systems. Who knows what you can get from the far East.

'course y'all know these things are pulsed lasers so the pattern you get on the workpiece is a series of dots. Dot pitch is variable. It's the pulsing that allows them to burn into the metal because the power is stored for a few microseconds and then blasted out thus making the pit in the metal.

Cheers,
Rich

Charlie_W

Very nice Brian!
Have you thought about numbering bushing sets such as the Cigar
#1 for the nib - #4 for the finial

Just a thought!

Hope to see you at MAPG,

TBCbushings

I thought about that...but with an x or 0.....I like the idea of 1 to 4...I was thinking of keeping the bushings together for upper and lower barrel s...

Rich L

I have talked to full spectrum lasers on a number of occasions. Long story short they said that they could build a fiber laser for right around 10K.
Search results for: 'fiber laser'

That would be super. Are you going for it? I see it on their web site but there's a dearth of information. I wonder if it comes as a complete system with software otherwise it's like buying a basic car these days where you have to keep adding stuff to get what you really want. Comes with rotary chuck, too? Power? (10W for 10K?) Spot size? Specs, man, specs! :wink:

I looked around quite a bit before choosing mine and I ultimately got one from Rocky Mountain Instruments (RMI). The deciding factor for me was the quality of the entire unit, the rotary chucking mechanism, and the marking algorithm used in laying down marks around a cylinder. It does not use a print driver and I didn't want it to. I also looked at Epilog (fiber), and Kevron (fiber) before settling on the NdYVO4 system I use now. All those guys are local to me so that was nice. It's interesting that Full Spectrum can offer one that inexpensively because when I was looking just the fiber gain units were costing $10K never mind the diode pump, enclosures, galvo units, good lenses, etc.

Full Spectrum also has some "interesting" press out there so caveat emptor, as always. I will say that some of their technical ad comments are very misleading. Where these manufacturers get their parts or subassemblies is always a question, too. I do know that RMI pretty much builds the whole thing themselves but don't take that as me trying to push them. Kevron (I don't even know if they're still in business) got their tubes and fiber gain units here in the States.

One of the Fslaser web sites advertises their F Series Fiber Laser with a CO2 tube. Huh??

Cheers,
Rich

Last edited:

Dalepenkala

I have talked to full spectrum lasers on a number of occasions. Long story short they said that they could build a fiber laser for right around 10K.
Search results for: 'fiber laser'

That would be super. Are you going for it? I see it on their web site but there's a dearth of information. I wonder if it comes as a complete system with software otherwise it's like buying a basic car these days where you have to keep adding stuff to get what you really want. Comes with rotary chuck, too? Power? (10W for 10K?) Spot size? Specs, man, specs! :wink:

I looked around quite a bit before choosing mine and I ultimately got one from Rocky Mountain Instruments (RMI). The deciding factor for me was the quality of the entire unit, the rotary chucking mechanism, and the marking algorithm used in laying down marks around a cylinder. It does not use a print driver and I didn't want it to. I also looked at Epilog (fiber), and Kevron (fiber) before settling on the NdYVO4 system I use now. All those guys are local to me so that was nice. It's interesting that Full Spectrum can offer one that inexpensively because when I was looking just the fiber gain units were costing $10K never mind the diode pump, enclosures, galvo units, good lenses, etc.

Full Spectrum also has some "interesting" press out there so caveat emptor, as always. I will say that some of their technical ad comments are very misleading. Where these manufacturers get their parts or subassemblies is always a question, too. I do know that RMI pretty much builds the whole thing themselves but don't take that as me trying to push them. Kevron (I don't even know if they're still in business) got their tubes and fiber gain units here in the States.

One of the Fslaser web sites advertises their F Series Fiber Laser with a CO2 tube. Huh??

Cheers,
Rich

Hi Rich

Honestly at this point I have a source for doing all my laser work 10min away from my house. And they treat me very well.
Most of my engraving is done on metal so that's kinda how I found out that a fiber laser and CO2 lasers are different.

I have some ideas that I could use one of there co2 lasers but right now I'm getting so busy that I have to just keep making blanks and pens and rely on my guy for the laser marking.
Got to admit it sure looks like a fun new toy for me!:biggrin:

Top Bottom