Laser image and raster/vector help request

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

After the bash I'm getting back to playing around with the laser. I've downloaded paint.net as well as inkscape and gimp. I found paint.net very easy for me to learn for basic designs which is all I'm after currently. However after thinking I had figured it out I've learned about Raster vs Vector images.

It seems paint.net doesn't do vector images and the raster images are pixelated as seen in the pictures. I found a couple of raster to vector converters online but they seemed to change the image size to much larger than usual.

Long story short, is anyone using paint.net and then converting to vector? If so any tips or programs (free is of course preferred). Thanks for all of the help!

Attachments

• ras.JPG
    ras.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 193
  • ras1.JPG
    ras1.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 194
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

You already downloaded the inkscape. Inkscape has a very powerful trace command (under Path/Trace bitmap).
Here is a short tutorial (many more on the web): https://inkscape.org/en/doc/tracing/tutorial-tracing.html
Also, check the Laser engraver extension for inkscape.

Also inkscape can resize any vector file.

I'm lucky I have access to full Adobe Illustrator which is a problem because I'm so used to AI.

southernclay

You already downloaded the inkscape. Inkscape has a very powerful trace command (under Path/Trace bitmap).
Here is a short tutorial (many more on the web): https://inkscape.org/en/doc/tracing/tutorial-tracing.html
Also, check the Laser engraver extension for inkscape.

Thanks and thanks for the link! I'll check it out and do some youtubing as well.

Also inkscape can resize any vector file.

I'm lucky I have access to full Adobe Illustrator which is a problem because I'm so used to AI.[/quote]

Good to know on resizing too, I didn't think about using the two together although I'm sure if I learn Inkscape paint.net wouldn't be needed much if at all.

I use Inkscape as well. It does a great job converting files for the laser. I've engraved up to 18" x 18" with no issues as long as the export resolution is correct.

Great info, sounds pretty unanimous which direction to go.

Thanks for the help! As I dig in when time allows I will report back.

Terredax

Banned
I haven't used Inkscape, but I've heard good things about it from people who have used it. Especially for it being free.

If you get serious about using vector, you might want to get some dedicated software designed for the purpose you are using it for.
There are several inexpensive options and it may have more functionality for laser engraving. Look into sign software, they often come equipped with useful fonts and intuitive tools.
Most software supports most controllers, even if it's just the generic g-code.

I too have access to .ai, AutoCAD, and other softwares that have much more capability than I know how to use, so something with the tools and functions that fit your requirements, is all you really need.

Terredax

Banned
I noticed you used an image of a plane, so I used two images found on the web of planes.
This was just a quick raster to vector conversion, but now the two images are vector and can be scaled without loss of resolution.
My images are raster here, so I could post them, but I have the vector file for them.

wo3t7UI.png

On a side note...
There are several places to purchase vector images for next to nothing if you would like to save some time and not have to learn the software.
Usually there is a small fee and you are able to download thousands of vector images, ready to use. Just a thought.

Last edited:

southernclay

Thanks Tom and John!

Tom I'll check out that program too. Haven't heard of it.

John that was similar to what I did with Paint.net, I think getting the basics down on Inkscape would be good but being able to download something is a great option to know about. I appreciate the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom