Laser Engraver Sources (American).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NLAlston

As anyone who's followed my posts know, I have two, somewhat, recently purchased Chinese Laser Engravers (one, purchased April 30th of this year, and the most recent purchased in June). Both of them have malfunctioned, and I am having a bear of a time within attempts to have GearBest help to correct the issues. Right now, it just doesn't look promising. I really need another laser engraver, and will not consider going back to them. In fact, I really don't want to consider purchasing from anywhere outside of the USA.

I wonder if there are any American made equivalents of the NEJE engravers. Actually, I have about $300 that I could shell out for a Laser Engraver. All I'm looking for is a DEPENDABLE unit which would afford the opportunity to personalize my pens, and other small items.

I've done some Internet searching, myself, and couldn't seem to latch upon anything. But, maybe, there's something out there that I might have missed.

If anyone knows of anything - along the lines of what I'm asking - please inform.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NLAlston

Ok everyone, disregard my starting post.

Since doing so, I have spent the time - between then, and now - to do some more intensive researching. And, from what I have gathered, there is absolutely nothing (especially in MY price range) to be obtained anywhere outside of China.
Not saying that good things can't come from there (I know better than that), but there WOULD be deep issues in gaining satisfaction behind purchases that produced premature faults.

I have some Waterslide (laser) decals that I am going to, now, give a shot at. I've not tried them, yet (the laser engraver had me all hyped up), but - if I can learn the proper procedure for applying the decals, with no evidence of film edges showing - I will be good to go.

But thanks, anyway.

larryc

Nathan
I think you will find water slide decals a satisfying, humbling and rewarding addition to your pen turnings. There is much info in this forum on the experiences and methods of applying water slide decals.
I have done water slide decals for about 5 years and have sold hundreds of them.
Don't give up on the laser engravers though. I bought and returned two of the Chinese 1000mw engravers before I got one that worked. Then I bought another as backup.
Also a fellow in Australia, Bob Pence, has come up with a great device to mount a pen blank on the 1000 mw engraver for engraving 180 degrees around the pen barrel.

PatrickR

After seeing the failure rates on these I decided to by from Amazon (fulfilled by them). It was worth the extra money as the first one failed. I went with the HTPOW for the second one. It has worked fine for a couple months now. This one looks different than the NEJE and the sw is different but I don't know if it comes from a different factory.

NLAlston

Nathan
I think you will find water slide decals a satisfying, humbling and rewarding addition to your pen turnings. There is much info in this forum on the experiences and methods of applying water slide decals.
I have done water slide decals for about 5 years and have sold hundreds of them.
Don't give up on the laser engravers though. I bought and returned two of the Chinese 1000mw engravers before I got one that worked. Then I bought another as backup.
Also a fellow in Australia, Bob Pence, has come up with a great device to mount a pen blank on the 1000 mw engraver for engraving 180 degrees around the pen barrel.

Thank you, Larry, for your very informative input. You've made me look towards the Waterslide decals with a fair bit more hope, than I had. My main concern, though, was with methods of making the cut, film edges, invisible. I saw it mentioned once, somewhere, that the method included the use of either vinegar, or pure turpentine, to 'melt' away the edges. But there wasn't any mention as to the proper manner of such application, and I have not been able to locate anything, on that, again.

And no, I am not totally turned around from the idea of having a laser engraver. I'm just a bit knocked down, right now. GearBest seems to be tip-toeing around any efforts towards correcting matters, for me, and I don't understand why. Being on a fixed income, nearly $145 (total for the two engravers) is a rather hard hit for something that WASN'T right, and that doesn't look as if it will be MADE right.

But that's ok: much worse has happened to others.

And, again, I thank you.

NLAlston

After seeing the failure rates on these I decided to by from Amazon (fulfilled by them). It was worth the extra money as the first one failed. I went with the HTPOW for the second one. It has worked fine for a couple months now. This one looks different than the NEJE and the sw is different but I don't know if it comes from a different factory.

Thank you, also, Patrick.

I AM interested in getting another laser engraver and, this time, will adopt YOUR purchasing design, by going through Amazon. I guess it's what I should have done in the FIRST. I will, surely, look into that, tomorrow.

TonyL

I am also on my second "semi-disposable" engraver. However, I did have the pleasure of personally watching Larry demo his process a few weeks ago. The process and results are exceptional.

NLAlston

Thank you, also, Patrick.

I AM interested in getting another laser engraver and, this time, will adopt YOUR purchasing design, by going through Amazon. I guess it's what I should have done in the FIRST. I will, surely, look into that, tomorrow.

Well, after visiting Amazon - and looking at other laser engraving units - I think that I just may settle on this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Engraver-Pri...qid=1499087975&sr=8-6&keywords=Laser+engraver.

It's a bit smaller unit, but that's all right. With a 1500mW burner, it would translate into more power than that of my NEJE's. The only thing that I would be losing out on, would be the (now) available Rotary Device. I was SO looking forward to getting that, as SOON as it became available. If I am able to get the software to recognize my one, GOOD NEJE, I will go ahead and purchase that nifty attachment, for it. Then, I would have TWO working engravers.

Top Bottom