Laser death (yep....it just happened). - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2017, 02:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Laser death (yep....it just happened).

Had just completed the turning, finishing and assembly of a nice pen - as a gift for one of our dsughter's co-workers. After the fact, I thought that it would be nice to personalize it with that person's name. So, I went about that process, with my NEJE 1000mw laser engraver. I noticed that the laser didn't seem to be that bright, and chalked it up to my imagination - that is, until I moved along with it. No matter WHAT burn time I selected, I wasn't getting any mentionable results, at all.

Thinking that my chosen font might have been an issue, I created another version of the name, with a different (bolder) font, and sent it to my engraver. I i, then, initiated a carving preview, which revealed a VERY dim light on the blank. It was so dim that it could hardly be seen. When I did hit the button to carve, the light did get a little brighter - but would not engrave.

It just so happened that I'd ordered a spare unit, a while back, which arove within the past two weeks. I pulled it out, set it up, and THIS engraver (same model, from the same manufacturer) engraved like nobody's business. My first unit didn't smoke anywhere like this one (same settings).

To be honest, I didn't expect any kind of longevity out of these engravers. I mean, I paid less than $70 (each) forvthectwo that I have. But I DID expect it to have lasted a fair bit longer than THIS. I, not long ago, read a post (somewhere, here) about an owner (of the very same machine) having engraved 200+ pens, with his engraver. It's been less than two months, that I've had my first engraver, and I've ONLY tried to engrave on four pens (only ONE came out passable).

I'll be contacting the company, to see how they will handle this. I'll have to check, and see, what the warranty is (if any) on the laser heads. I did contact them, shortly after receiving my first unit, due to the glasses having one cracked lens. They wanted me to take a picture and sendit to them - first - before they would consider proceeding with anything. But, if I were going to try and beat them out of anything, do thy REALLY think it would be for a pair of those GLASSES?

I've tried to photograph them well enough to show the crack (which spans the entire mid-width of one of the lenses), but it was never revealing enough to show that crack. Consequently, I've just resigned myself to leaving it alone, and (now that I have a good pair, with my recent machine) using my secondary pair. But, hopefully, they won't send me through changes on making matters right with the (apparently) burned out laser head.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Well, I just tried the USB cables, of my newest (properly working) machine, on my previous unit - to make a determination as to whether or not the former cables had, somehow, gone bad. Not so, though. The very same problem occurred. So, it is most certainly a bad laser head.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have a similar laser, I had a similar issue and with fiddling with the focus ring things improved, my friend has a similar laser that goes out of focus tremendously when he hits start though properly focusing the beam. As far as the lens crack, I wouldn't worry too much. It is a 405nm wavelength in the blue spectrum and though you may see a yellowish spot In your view for some moments you probably don't need the glasses at all,or use your favorite normal sunglasses and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
Makereality is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2017, 08:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 7

I'm starting to think they use a crappy laser diode when they ship cause I had the same issue. Not sure how many pens I had on the first one or the replacement so far, but I feel like the replacement has lasted longer. Could be a placebo though. Not sure haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find me on Facebook HERE
keithncsu is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-18-2017, 10:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 8

Yup, par for the course. If one of these engravers is required to fulfill orders, I would certainly have a spare diode or two on hand.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hello, they are about $23 - 25 on Ebay or on Alliexpress about $20

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1500...e-ac0d8db958ea
PMBROTH.NY is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecompco View Post
Yup, par for the course. If one of these engravers is required to fulfill orders, I would certainly have a spare diode or two on hand.
I am not 'there', yet (fulfilling hefty orders ), but I DO aim for that.

I'd only put my first unit to task, just a handful of times - and with just one semi-successful burn. My 2nd unit came out of the gate showing a whole different measure of power, and capability.

Since the machines are under warranty, I am going to get the manufacturer to send me a replacement diode. Then, I will order some spare diodes, to have on hand, in the event of something like this happening again.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 296

That's me at 200+ so far but I do have a second unit ready to go in case the original dies. As previously mentioned for the price point that the NEJE comes in at, I consider it a bargain and my "expectations" are low in terms of overall longevity and performance for the unit. So far so good.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMBROTH.NY View Post
Hello, they are about $23 - 25 on Ebay or on Alliexpress about $20

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1500...e-ac0d8db958ea
Thanks for the link. Much appreciation.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood-of-1kind View Post
That's me at 200+ so far but I do have a second unit ready to go in case the original dies. As previously mentioned for the price point that the NEJE comes in at, I consider it a bargain and my "expectations" are low in terms of overall longevity and performance for the unit. So far so good.
Thanks for responding.

I'm like you, in that I hold no unrealistic expectations of these engravers lasting for extensive periods of time. And that's ok, when the low cost of these units are factored in to the equation. But I HAD hoped to have gotten considerably more done with my first unit. Hopefully, a new diode will be longer lasting.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads