Laser cutting/engraving no go list

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

For those who may not know, there are safety issues to consider when laser engraving or cutting certain materials.

I saw in another thread that someone was showing a pen case laser engraved. While this case looked like genuine leather which is perfectly acceptable, vinyl, imitation leather, pleather and the like are typically on the no fly list. They are among the materials that emit chlorine gas which is not only highly toxic to us but is also highly corrosive to your machine.

A good reference can be found here:
Laser Cutter Materials - ATXHackerspace

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Yup, I have engraved on genuine leather. The "smell" as it burns certainly confirms that it's real. The aroma lingers even after days have elapsed.

Thanks for the notice.

SteveG

I am not part of the laser "Gang", at least not so far. But you have my thanks for helping protect others of our IAP family who might end up causing themselves a lot of harm :eek: by not knowing what you just published. Great job! :)

PapaTim

For those that don't know, avoid "bonded leather". It's made from leather dust and scraps ground up and glued together. It's the particle board of the leather world.

Carl Fisher

I have a little confusion going on.

Crystal Clear Cell Cast Plexiglass Sheet Delvie's Plastics Inc.

Is Crystal clear cast acrylic plexiglass
the correct material for the laser?

Should be fine. Plexi, acrylic and lucite are some of the most common materials fed through a laser.

You'll want to sample cast and extruded and see which works best for your needs. Cast tends to look better when engraved. (see here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/19474091@N02/6067413850)

Just watch for Delvie's as they tend to have a minimum order requirement. I've run into that buying acrylic rod from them.

hanau

What about Eye protection?
The 40 watt lasers are enclosed with the colored window are glasses necessary?
The 1 watt engravers are open, I would think that one would a little more dangerous with out glasses.

Carl Fisher

Eye protection is always suggested. People do silly things sometimes and the machine is only as safe as the operator makes it so it's better to be safe than sorry.

However for a CO2 laser you don't need a special colored or coated set of lenses. Any safety glasses will do. The little 1W lasers are a completely different class of laser and have different safety requirements.

Honest you would be well served reading up on the difference between a CO2 laser and the little diodes so you have a clear understanding of how they work and what precautions you need to take.

Top Bottom