Know where to find one of these (trimming)?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russknan

For some time now, I have been happily using this aluminum V-jig to hold punches for blank trimming on my disc sander. Love it! Well, today, I wanted to recommend one to a buddy who is new to pen turning. For the life of me, I don't remember where I got it. There is no manufacturer's mark on the outside, either. From the pictures, can anybody help? Thanks. Russ

Attachments

• IMG_2455.jpg
    IMG_2455.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_2454.jpg
    IMG_2454.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 232
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

frank123

It has the look of something that is either home shop made or made by a small manufacturer. (and nicely done)

Wouldn't be very hard to make one if so and a commercial one is unavailable.

plantman

Russ; A fellow named Paul Huffman makes these in his shop. Go to PHDdesigns.com He lives in Oklahoma City, or did when I purchased mine. I also purchased the centering vice at the same time. Would highly reccomend these to anyone that turns any odd shaped blanks. Vice was $65 and if you bought both items he gave the to you for $75. Jim S

Last edited:

Big

I would love to know more about getting those too if anyone can come up with contact info. for the manufacturer.

KenV

I have one of those -- got it from Tim Geiger. As I remember, Tim was the customer service guy for Nova until they decided to put an office in the US (in Florida).

Have not seen much from him for the last couple of years. I think I remember an add in Woodturning Designs a few years back.

Use it with the disk sander for production runs.

He was also selling a clone of the pen vise that Paul Hoffman makes.

Roy Robaldo (Classic Nib) handles Paul's stuff now -

Russknan

Thanks, Guys! I knew I could count on you. Bear Tooth Woods it is. Some beautiful construction for $20. Bear Tooth Woods - Pen Blank Sanding Jig
Depending on how much "overage" you build in to your blank lengths, it CAN take a little longer than a pen mill to trim your blanks. But I've NEVER had one blow up on my disc sander. One more tip for pay-back, if I may? If you have a 12" disc sander, do yourself a favor. Go to Shopsmith.com, buy their "conversion kit" for disc sanding. It will give you a "hook" disc with pressure-sensitive glue backing. You clean off your raw disc, and stick the "Velcro" disc to the metal. In the kit, you also get some "loop" backed sandpaper discs. (I haven't found anywhere else to buy them, and I've looked pretty hard.) However, it makes changing grits - which I rarely do - or, more importantly, changing sandpaper SO much easier. I'm now less inclined to keep sandpaper on the disc way beyond the time that it's worn out. Thanks again. Russ

Edward Cypher

I bought this from Bear Tooth woods and use it on my HF 12 sander and it works awesome with HF transfer punches. Then I use Ricks to fine tune after turning. Awesome products.

Top Bottom