International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 22

Default Know any good shoes for standing on concrete all day?

Like most, i have a concrete floor in my shop. Even though I have those pads everywhere I still could use some good shoes for standing all day. Does anyone know of good shoes I can get?
GouletPens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-12-2008, 02:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 12

From the aspect of being a mechanic, I stood on concrete the hold time. My preference is Red Wing or Wolverine with added cushion inserts. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 61

I'll agree ,after standing on concrete floors in machine shops I love my Wolverine Dura Shock boots, Red Wing used to be good, but I haven't had any for about 15 or 20 years, If you notice a lot of Doctors and Nurses wear New Balance leather sport shoes but they walk around more than someone standing in front of a machine.
bitshird is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2008, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 6

I have Timberland Pro boots. Other thing would be to get a floor mat of some type. I think Harbor Frieght and the like sell about a 4x4 mat of some type.

"When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost." Billy Graham
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Benjamin Franklin
Paul in OKC is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I use to wear Red Wing but changed to New Balance # 926. I'm on concert 8 to 12 hours a day. I love them.

If you are going to be stupid, you have to be tough.
smitty is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 0

my friend ruth is a cook at a retirement place. they have some softer mats then you will find at hd or hf. check out the food service places.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

It's not so much the shoe but the orthodic inside. My foot doctor recommended New Balance 575's for the shoe but he sold me 2 insoles made from a sponge with rubber on the bottom side and like a leather on the top. His nurse cut them out of a sheet of the foam about 2' x 3'. He charged me $20 for 2 sets and they have really made a difference in how my feet feel. I can be on them all day (and I am a 300 pounder) without them hurting. The liners have been in the shoes for over 2 years and are kinda mashed. I'll have to get new ones in Dec. when I see him again.

Wish I had the name of the foam but I've forgotten. I'll check with him and let everyone know.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

This thread is of interest to me. Age has taken a toll on my feet, a natural occurrence. The padding on the bottom is all but gone and the wrong shoes are a painful experience. I wear a hiker type shoe most of the time. It has good cushioning. But, I am looking for something else also. Insoles have never worked for me because they take up so much room I can't get my feet in the shoe with those in. I used to wear Nike Airs and they are nice but expensive. But might have to break down and spend the extra bucks for some more.
Rifleman1776 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 50

Crocs.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Do they make steel toe Crocs? I'm pretty careful in the shop, but the thought of dropping a lathe chisel or heaven forbid my Nova Chuck on my foot if I were wearing Crocs

Jim Smith
Jim Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Top