King Canada kwl-1016C lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Math2010

Hello!

I bought this lathe and it seems cool for a new beginner like me.

I was just not able to find how to move the tool rest base front to back. It goes left-right, but the only way I was able to approach the tool rest to the wood pieces, is by moving and turning the tool rest bar left or right.

Does someone has this lathe and have some advices?

Thank you

Mathieu

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I just googled it. Doesn't the same lever that allows you to move it left to right also allow front to back? Maybe its just stuck with travel wax. Perhaps strip it and clean it off.
Hope that helps

Math2010

I tried washing it, but it's really stuck. The other thing I tought, is that there's a nuts under the bar. Maybe I need to loose it. But it's really hard to reach it...

monophoto

I tried washing it, but it's really stuck. The other thing I tought, is that there's a nuts under the bar. Maybe I need to loose it. But it's really hard to reach it...

Loosening the nut slightly should make it possible to move the banjo more freely. However, you have to be careful to not loosen it too much or the banjo won't lock down to the ways.

I understand the issue with hard to reach. If your lathe is simply sitting on the bench, you can tilt it backwards to be able to access that nut, but if you bolt the lathe to the bench, the task is more complicated. My bench is a bit low, so I have riser blocks under the lathe to elevate it to the ideal position (the spindle should be at about the same elevation as your elbow), and that gives me more room to work under the ways.

A suggestion - use a box wrench to turn the nut. You can kneel down to peer under the lathe to position the wrench on the nut, and then stand up while holding the wrench in place before using it to tighten or loosen the nut. That's much harder to do with an open-end wrench.

darrin1200

Did you buy the lathe new or used. If new, contact the dealer. If its used, you will have to investigate the toolrest a little more. You can get a manual and a parts diagram from King Canada.
Power Tools, Woodworking and Metalworking Machines by King Canada

I have added a snap shot of the tool rest part of the diagram. You need to remove the tool rest from the lathe and look underneath. There is a rod (item 75) that passes through a bolt (item 68). The rod needs to pass freely through the bolt for forward and backward movement. Maybe there is a burr jamming it up.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-13-08-17-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-02-13-08-17-55.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 189

Math2010

Thank you for your advices!
I found the solution. The iron rod needed to be in a specific position between the lock and the free position and it works! Thanks a lot for your help!

Top Bottom