Kevin M's Shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin M

Here's my little work area. From left to right...HF lathe with magnifier lamp, me, built in shelves behind me for goodies, work bench, air compressor and table saw under workbench, shop vac., 9" Delta bandsaw, cabinet below to hold assorted hand tools, scroll saw at bottom mounted on a large board, floor model drill press, slide out cabinet below holds drilling and sanding assortments. Before anyone mentions it...the LP cylinder is an empty waiting for a fill and yes I have a lamp out in the overhead light. (dual 300 watt bulbs)

The second picture shows me leaving my wife for my true love. As a FF I have been to my share of "shop" fires, probably why I keep mine so clean.

200541933257_SHOP%20PICTURE%20WITH%20KEVIN%202.jpg

200541934828_KEVIN%20FIRE%20GEAR%203.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

I am SO jealous of you guys! Have to post a pic of my "shop" this weekend - I think your workbench is about as big as my shop! :) Nice space you've got there Kevin, but not enough sawdust!

Kevin, thank you for your service to your community! And I'm kidding about the sawdust; do a search of the forums for a post by me with the keywords "sharpen" "spark" and "ember" and you'll see why! :)

----
Found the link: http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5386

PenWorks

Fine looking shop Kevin, good reason to be very tidy! Some other shoulf take a hint about that.

Your work bench is just to high for me. I'm more of a sit down and doze off worker. Everytime I fell asleep standing up, it turned out real bad for me [:D]

woodwish

Kevin,

Nice work area. I'm jealous of having a basement, in this part of Florida it would be an indoor pool! Water table in my back yard today was maybe 6" below ground level. It is also nice to see a clean shop, mine stays the same way when I finish for the day. I have a turning buddy that will accumulate several feet of wet woodturning around his lathe before he shovels it out. It starts to compost and actually generates a lot of heat. His insurance company would die if they ever saw it.

I admire you for your job. I have never really worked any structure fires but a lot of teachers like me work as part-time/volunteer firefighting for the forest fires we get in early summer in Florida. Luckily we wear long fire-retardent pants and shirts instead of bunker gear. I have a CDL so I usually am just a truckee but I have spent my time on foot working the fire lines by hand. When it's 95+, humidity is 90%+, and you're facing hundreds of acres of flaming trees it can be a tough day. From talking with "real" firemen I know structure firs can be much worse, stay safe!

Kevin M

JimGo...I remember your topic on the sparks from the sharpening wheel since I also use that system and posted a reply to you. Any time sparks fly we must be cautioned as to the possible outcome. In my picture you can see a 5lb fire extinquisher to my left, what you can not see is the 20lb fire extinquisher just to the right of my drill press.

Kevin M

woodwish...this is actually my garage not a basement. I have to share it with my jon boat. If you look in the lower left corner of the picture you can see the white fender of the trailer. The windows behind me look into the back yard and the ones to my left face the screened in back porch next to the pool. I put a new liner in the pool this weekend and it is filling as I write this.

Definition of pool...large hole in the ground you throw money in.

As far as fire is concered...I do not get to pack up much anymore since I am usually in command, but I know how it is to spend countless hours in a hot, sweaty, dirty job and would not want to work forest fires in your place. We do it because we are...crazy?!

Woodbutcher68

"Definition of pool...large hole in the ground you throw money in.
"
Sounds like you have two of them!
Boat- a hole in the water you throw money in!

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom