Jig for touching up a pen mill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tiger

anyone have a simple setup for touching up a pen mill? I hone the flat edges on a stone and that helps but the angle edge is looking a little ragged. I do have a metal lathe and could try and rig something up but if there's an easier way I'd prefer that . The challenge will be to keep all cutting edges equivalent and I'm thinking some sort of indexing device but haven't found much on Google.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I say you are asking for more trouble than what it is worth. (my opinion) A diamond card and not a stone is best for things like that. You start getting the cutters off balance now you will all kinds of weird cuts in the ends of the blank. There are people here that may do it for you but they have the proper equipment because they make tools. Good luck.

KenV

Paul in OKC has sharpened them for a nominal sum on a tool and die grinder. if you have several he was giving a price break.

Drop him a PM A box and the post office is an effective jig.

Tiger

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I've got at least 3 barrel trimmers and I sharpen just about everything else hence my post. I had thought something that placed a diamond hone at the right angle with the trimmer in place and then allowed you to stroke the trimmer might work, anyway it all might be too hard. Ken, love to send it to Paul because he does do impressive work but reckon the postage alone would buy several more trimmers.

KenV

If you can find a tool and dye pro locally go for it. They have the expensive grinding gear and the knowledge to make all the cutting blade near identical. As with hand sharpened drill bits, the hand sharpened outcome is one edge doing the cutting.

I use a lapping plate and a dial indicator holder with "D" rod to mount and rework dull mills to roughing standards and occasionally get part of a second edge cutting. These are suitable for wasting material. Turning tools, abrasives discs/mill or a fresh new mill are used for final trim. Mostly any more use a small detail gouge and abrasive mill.

Tiger

I have touched up the flat faces and the tool cuts well when placed into a drill. It still cuts when placed into a handle but it's pretty slow going. A couple of the edges are still a little ragged and I'd like to see if I can touch them up a little, anyone know what the optimum relief angle on a pen mill would be?

Top Bottom