Jet tail stock problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Emery

My tail stock spindle will move in and out by turning the wheel at the end of the lathe but if there is any presure on it at all it will not move out to tighten against the turning piece. I think I retracted it too far earlier when I was removing the live center and this could have caused the problem. My lathe is a Jet 1041. I hope this is user error which with know-how I can fix. I have tried loosening the screw on the side of the tail stock and screwing the spindle in as it was completely loose at one point today while I was trying to fix it, but this did not solve the issue. Any help will be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithkarl2007

If you look through the manual for your lathe it should show an exploded view of the tailstock, the quill and its inner workings. You will get a better understanding on how it works and what could be the possible problem.

dogcatcher

Take it apart and clean the insides out. Every year or so I disassemble mine and wash the parts in kerosene, dry them and then lubricate before assembling it. The procedure takes less than an hour and when finished you will love it. It will turn better than when it was new.

Emery

I didn't take it apart on purpose but it happened. It's working very smooth now. I think the problem was that I wasn't getting the spindle screwed all the way back. Thanks for the advise.

Top Bottom