Jet Safety Key

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

yorkie

Anyone know where I can just buy a safety key for my Jet JWBS15" 1 3/4hp bandsaw?

I just called Jet and they will only sell me an entire switch but not just the safety key, which probably gets lost all the time! That kind of thing makes me never want to buy Jet again!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    51.9 KB · Views: 203
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Replace it with a slap switch or with another switch? Why did you remove the key? Small kids in the house? I have them on my lathe and bandsaw but have never removed them. I have chuck keys for my lathe and drill press. I tied a yellow ribbon to the chuck key for my lathe Jacobs chuck and nylon cord on the key to my drill press and keep both attached to the steel with a magnetic hook from Harbor Freight.

yorkie

Replace it with a slap switch or with another switch? Why did you remove the key? Small kids in the house? I have them on my lathe and bandsaw but have never removed them. I have chuck keys for my lathe and drill press. I tied a yellow ribbon to the chuck key for my lathe Jacobs chuck and nylon cord on the key to my drill press and keep both attached to the steel with a magnetic hook from Harbor Freight.

Thanks. I might do just that. Yeah, we had kids visiting for a couple of weeks so I removed them all and put them in a safe place, but this one went missing.

jttheclockman

Amazing how easy for people to just give up on a company because of something simple or because that the policy the company employs does not fit their needs.

Here is a suggestion.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOfoAWc_y18

Did you try ebay. Amazon has keys in packs of 2.

Last edited:

yorkie

Amazing how easy for people to just give up on a company because of something simple or because that the policy the company employs does not fit their needs.

Here is a suggestion.

I know. I just get frustrated if I feel like I'm being taken advantage of. My entire shop if full of Jet/Powermatic tools and I love them but this kind of thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Thanks for the video.

Woodchipper

I had a air-direction door replaced in the A/C unit in my truck. I spent $800 for a $3.00 piece of plastic. This included a $250 assembly just to get the door. BTW, the A/C shop had to take out the entire dash to do the job. Most of the cost was labor. Much like buying a whole switch to get the key!
Edit: Any way to lock the shop the keep the munchkins out?

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Here is a suggestion.

I know. I just get frustrated if I feel like I'm being taken advantage of. My entire shop if full of Jet/Powermatic tools and I love them but this kind of thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Thanks for the video.

This is where you need to step outside your comfort zone and think of a solution. We today are so spoiled. Back in the old west days there was no store to buy simple things they improvised. I try to convey this thought when making pens. Step away from the boredom and think outside the box.

JPW062

I subbed industrial arts at a local vocational school for a while. Thwy jad a problem with kids printing these on 3D printers. There were dozens floating around the school. Probably a downloadable file online somewhere.

KB8JXO

Woodchipper: Let me guess that your truck was a Ford Ranger. If so, I feel your pain.

Last edited:

TonyL

I have called Jet for issues that were not under warranty and without asking, the rep sent me the parts for free (they have sent me belts, bearings, set screws, even a spindle. I was always ready to pay, but the guy simply asked me for my address). Maybe, if you call again and get another rep (assuming there is more than one rep). This is not a practice I would want to reply on, but maybe worth a shot. I doubt it my "Yankee" accent scored any points.

FWIW, and this is just an OCD thing, we have no kids at home, but whenever I travel (even if my wife remains home), I remove all of the safety keys from my stationary power tools. Lori and certainly the dogs wouldn't know how to turn anything on, but it just helps me feel better (naturally, my shop door is closed.).

If I find a source, I will inform you. Perhaps, this is something for one of those 3D printers to resolve!

Last edited:

TonyL

Originally Posted by jttheclockman

Here is a suggestion.

Thanks for the resource, John.

Top Bottom