Jet Headstock Bearings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmlewis

While turning a new pen the other day, my lathe started getting that loud humming sound of a bad bearing. Really felt a little disgusted because I just assumed it was the motor bearing, but after taking off the belt, it seems to be the headstock bearing. Very relieved.

I have a Jet Lathe (708351B), an older model multi-speed lathe and I was wondering if anyone knew a good place to get the headstock bearings and any advice on changing them out.

The cheapest I've found for both bearings is $51 or an entire Indexing headstock for $58.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

frank123

Bearings come in pretty much standard sizes - OD, ID, Thickness and type (i.e. ball, roller, thrust, sealed, open, metric or inch, etc.)

Any bearing supply can provide them at much better prices than buying the part number for the machine from a specialized supplier, and there will be no difference in the quality according to what you buy.

When a sealed bearing first starts making noise it is frequently because the lube has failed, you can often get extended life till you have the opportunity to replace them by injecting some thin grease with a hypodermic type of grease gun fitting if you do it immediately without using it for very long after you first hear the noise. Oil using a hydermic ink jet cartridge filler will work as well, but will not last as long before needing to be done again. Whether this is practical or not depends on the bearing seal type and where the bearing is located.

bmlewis

Thanks for all the info. I wasn't expecting them to be a standard size bearing, but we have a guy from SKF that comes into work once a week. I'll pop one out and see if he can match it for me.

Top Bottom