Jet 1236 wood lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

triw51

I saw a Jet 1236 lathe listed on Craig's list for $500. Did some looking at reviews, pros and cons seemed about equal. Some concern about the pulley system and the weight caused a lot of shaking and movement. I liked the fact I could turn larger diam. bowls.
So anyone here have personal experience with this lathe and is that a fair price? Thank you in advance for any help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

I guess in depends on what you are currently using and what your budget is. From what I know about that lathe it would need to be in 'like new' condition for that price. It also sounds like you would need to add weight to turn larger bowls.

Also, a 12" swing isn't that big. Many Midi lathes have that.

KenV

Older,design and works better as a spindle lathe, too light duty for serious bowl work or unbalanced turning.

Not a workhorse.

low_48

Miserable machine in my mind. 550 minimum rpm and very light weight makes starting rough blocks an exciting experience. I found a 16-42, 1 1/2 hp for $1000, save your money.

jsolie

I have an old blue-green one in my shop, and it's been giving me trouble the last couple of days. I suspect that it's gonna need bearings and maybe some new pulleys.

I've turned lots of bowls on mine over the years and done some spindle turning and pens. I've turned a grand total of one bowls with the headstock turned 90 degrees. I didn't care for the amount of flex that was in the piece that extends away from the banjo and holds the tool rest. Also, the lathe has always had a problem with headstock and tailstock alignment.

With the minimum RPM of 500 or so, it's way too fast for an unbalanced out of round piece. I put a sheet of plywood in the base years ago and have about 300+ pounds of sand on it. That helped with the lathe immensely.

Honestly, I don't know if I'd get one of these lathes again. I'd save some more shekels and try for the Jet 1221. It may not have the spindle length, but that one goes both slower and faster, and can reverse as well.

nativewooder

Owned one for about 12 years and used it for most everything. IMHO, $300 would be a fair price provided it has been properly maintained. (Variable speed split pulleys and such.)

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I have the harbor freight clone of that lathe, and it's been a workhorse for me. It does have some downsides, and I'm replacing the pulleys right now - but it's a good lathe..(but not for that price).

It's in the 250 range, brand-new from HF, and it comes on sale often - use a coupon, and it'll be a lot cheaper.

I have a review in the review section.

Top Bottom