Jet 1236 lathe headstock question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

orbit308

I have a Jet 1236. I do some metal work for cartridge pens that I make. Has anyone tried or know if a metal lathe headstock would fit on it? I like the fact that you can manually move the cutter into the work. I have been looking for a cheap metal lathe, but I don't really want to spend the money just to do the work that I do.

Curly

Without a lot of work and modifications,,,,,,,no. An easier possibility is to mount a milling/drilling table to or alongside your lathe. A tool holder will need to be mounted to it to hold the cutters. The downside is that most of these types of tables are imports and they have some play in them that might be difficult to overcome.
Some examples of what I mean. There are many other sources.

shars.com - Milling Drilling Table

shars.com - Compound Milling Drilling Slide Table

shars.com - 3Way Mill Drill Table

Grizzly have similar as well as a much heavier one that would likely be tighter and better.

Grizzly.com

You could also look for a cross slide from a metal lathe at again a lot more money.

dogcatcher

You can spend a bunch of money but I don't thing you will be happy. I think a Taig or a Sherline would be a better choice. Watch the Craigslist ads, you will not find one fast, but occasionally they do show up. I picked up a Taig lathe off the Dallas CL for $200 and it all had all kinds of accessories.

orbit308

You can spend a bunch of money but I don't thing you will be happy. I think a Taig or a Sherline would be a better choice. Watch the Craigslist ads, you will not find one fast, but occasionally they do show up. I picked up a Taig lathe off the Dallas CL for $200 and it all had all kinds of accessories.

I was just looking at the Sherlines.. Might do for my needs.

Top Bottom